no material on chunk pieces when using destructible mesh

I’ve searched everywhere and cannot find a solution.

I’ve created a model in maya and imported the FBX… I put it into the destructible mesh creator and fractured it… except there’s no chunk material for the inside it’s invisible. I’ve gone to skeletal mesh and only material 1 is showing, so I click the + and add a second material… set it and nothing… I click fracture mesh and it resets and removed the material… I readd the material, press save and run everything to test it… close the editor reload and still nothing…

I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t seem to figure out what the problem is… I had to rebuilt the model and fix the UV’s as everything was stretching, the first version worked great except for texturing. I can’t figure out what’s causing this and I’ve gotta finish this for class.

here are some pictures

as you can see the settings are correct but no matter what I do I cannot get the chunks pieces to be textured on the inside when the object is broken

Hi liftedplane,

Looking at your mesh it’s not a closed mesh which means that faces cannot be generated for the interior properly. You’ll need to correct that.

This is mentioned in NVIDIA’s documentation for destructibles. I’ve even got a section our Wiki Troubleshooting Guide for Destructibles here: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

I hope this helps.

Tim

went into maya, did some small edits… still couldn’t find any holes… did a mesh cleanup and it’s working now… no clue exactly what happened between v1 and v2 but v3 seems to be working.

thank you for the response.

went into maya, did some small edits… still couldn’t find any holes… did a mesh cleanup and it’s working now… no clue exactly what happened between v1 and v2 but v3 seems to be working.

thank you for the response.

Hello, I’m having the same issue and I tried to follow the CleanUp tool like you said, but it’s not working.

Please could you share your mesh import settings and clean up tool settings so that I can try and figure out where things have gone wrong. Thank you very much.

Edit: I managed to find the problem, It was a tiny overlapping face on one of the extrudes I had made… One tiny clipping of a face… I found it by reversing the Normals and checking inside of the mesh. That black crosshatching that happens in Maya was visible and it was the sole cause of the problem. Pleased that I fixed it, Annoyed it took nearly 16 hours of my time on one mesh. That’s Game dev for you…

Hi Tim,

I’m having the same issue, with no material on chunks.

Do you know what the best import settings are for a destructible mesh? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I’m starting to pull my hair out.

@MikeyBGames

Export settings for the static mesh shouldn’t really be different than any other static mesh since UE4 does the creation and fracture of the mesh for you. A lot of developing the static mesh that will be used as the destructible is just making sure that you have closed meshes that are fully modeled as one piece, so no box modeling or just piecing things together. It has to be a manifold (closed) mesh.

The documentation I link to is at the top of my Destructibles Troubleshooting Page is probably the best resource to go over all the ins and outs of destructible creation, especially if you are authoring your destructibles outside of UE4 in Max/Maya/PhysXLab Tool.

@Tim Hobson :diamonds::diamonds: Thank you for taking the time to reply, I actually managed to find the issue by flipping the normals of the mesh and putting the camera inside the mesh. It was a tiny overlap of two opposing faces and edges after I had extruded that caused it.

Standard export settings worked.

just simply add the material in the details panel element 0 as the exterior and element 1 as the interior