No input from controller when creating local player

Hello, at one point in a earlier version of UE5 I didn’t have problems spawning in a new locl player, but here’s what’s happening now;

After the first player has spawned, I create a second local player using “create local player” which spawn in a split screen and pawn associated with that controller, however that newly spawned in player has no access to input from the second controller to control the pawn. (the first controller/player that spawns in by default works fine)

I’ve used console command ‘show debug input’ and does not recognize anything pressed on controller

I’m using a 360 wireless controller, which works fine outside unreal

This happens on a fresh 5.1 third person template.

1 Like

This may not be your problem, but it cannot hurt to check… I found I had issues when there was an XINPUT device still registered that I was unaware of, silently eating a slot. In my case, a Razer Tartarus MMO keypad which I had stopped using but which was still, for whatever reason, showing up as an active (but disconnected) XINPUT device.

In my case, since it was eating controller slot one, as soon as I activated Play-in-Editor I could no longer use my Xbox controller to control the character… but it worked fine in the editor, or in cooked builds. Because evidently PIE is very picky. So, I cannot help but wonder if you have some other forgotten/ghostly XINPUT device eating the second controller ID…

Might not be the problem, but… as I said, cannot hurt to check?

I started having that issue with 5.1. Tried using Create Local and Create Local Player For Platform User and it’ll spawn, but 2nd player won’t move. I have another kit where things work, but not all inputs would work. Been trying to look deeper into it and there’s no official documentation about it either. I also know the “Skip Assigning Players 1 to Gamepad” is bugged/broken too. Hopefully it’s patched early next year.

1 Like

I would love to check any ideas at this point! I have no idea how to check xinput id’s, is there a way to do that within unreal, or is external software needed to check this?

It seems I’m not the only one affected, but it seems not everyone is affected by whatever is going on

1 Like

Whoo! After 4 days of experimenting and research, I finally got it working thanks to the ideas over at this thread over here

Basically, I needed to use the node “get all active users” (never used that one before!) plugged into “create a local player for platform user”.

But this was not the only issue, as this alone does not give control to the pawn from any other controllers…

So I needed to add a delay in my character BP, BEFORE adding the mapping context for the input controllers.

I’m still unsure why this was necessary to set up like this, as before using “create local player” alone worked great. However I am glad I finally got something working.

Good luck to you if you are facing this issue, and hopefully this thread helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like