No images from Dumpmovie Command Line

I’m trying to use the command line to render my map but after it runs I can’t seem to locate my images. I’ve checked the project folder “Saved\Screenshots\Windows” and “Saved\VideoCaptures” but there is nothing there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Here is the Command Line:
“E:\Programs\Unreal Engine\4.2\Engine\Binaries\Win64\ue4editor.exe” “T:\DumpTest_Project\engine\DumpTest_Project\DumpTest_Project.uproject” -game Maps\DumpTest_map_v001.umap -ResX=1920 -ResY=1080 -DUMPMOVIE -BENCHMARK -FPS=30 -NOTEXTURESTREAMING -WINDOWED

I prefer using using this method so that I can eventually take advantage of tiledshots for high resolution images.

Thanks for the help!

Hey Lunchbox -

Try packaging your game first then running the command line from the packaged version. The screenshots should show up in the packaged folder.

Let me know

Eric Ketchum

Hey Lunchbox -

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Eric Ketchum

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was having exactly the same issue with 4.4. So, to clarify, unlike UDK where you could run the command line script and point at the project folder, command line now only works with a packaged project?

For the life of me, I can’t get this to work with a project in development (it executes fine, it just won’t dump frames), but if I modify the script to point at the packaged version, it works fine.

Below are my two scripts:

Project Test:

“C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\ue4editor.exe” “C:\Users\100206666\Documents\Unreal Projects\Effects\Effects.uproject” -game Maps\cave-map.umap -ResX=1920 -ResY=1080 -BENCHMARK -FPS=30 -DUMPMOVIE -SILENT -NOTEXTURESTREAMING

Packaged Project Test:

“D:\Packed\WindowsNoEditor\Effects\Binaries\Win64\Effects.exe” -ResX=1920 -ResY=1080 -BENCHMARK -FPS=30 -DUMPMOVIE -NOTEXTURESTREAMING

The second one works fine… it’s a solution, however I’m doing a lot of work with cinematics soon, and it seems a bit of a pain to have to package the project every time I make an alteration.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey FlashFreak -

Currently you do have to have a packaged version in order to render out via the DUMPMOVIE command. I have requested that our engineers to look into allowing the unpackaged projects to have the same functionality. I will keep you informed as we move forward.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Any update from this on 4.6.1 or where could I get the info of which specific coming up version will fix this?

any update on this? and how does it work with a packaged version? there is no editor in the packed version.

This issue is still being investigated for non-packaged games but as long as your have a packaged project the dumpmovie command will render out the frames of your game when you start it up, usually this is a cinematic (Matinee) that you have playing on Start.

I’ve packaged the product, but still no screenshots. In what directory are they supposed to come? What is the filename?

I’d also like to express a need for having this work using an editor binary. We want to use DUMPMOVIE and BENCHMARK in order to run maps from the command line and create automated regression test-renders. Having to package up the game before doing a regression test is a giant pain and will cause us to look for an alternative solution. Thanks.

Hi bpeck -

I have bumped the community interest of the DUMPMOVIE command line feature request and added your information from above. Currently this workflow is not used here at Epic in favor of the direct dump from inside the Matinee Actor itself.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum