No collision when root component is of type "Scene"

Hello!

I have an Pawn with a Set-Up like this:

244726-screenshot-2018-06-18-213116.png

So the “vehicle” component has the collision. But it doesn’t collide with anything. I tried to make a Box-Collision the root component. I had collision, but only of the Box-Collision.
Do you have any idea how to get the Collision of my vehicle working without making the camera (and SpringArm) a child of the vehicle, because I don’t want, that the Camera rotates and moves like the vehicle.

Thank you very much and best regards from Germany! Looking forward for some tips.

Hi! I’m not sure that I understand you properly but if you want to set up collision for Pawn use “Set Update Component” node to set what component will be responsible for collision. This topic is discussed in more detail in this thread Pawn ability to collide dependent on root. CollisionComponent = yes, SceneComponent = no - World Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

Hi Fatorice,

I am stuck with a similar issue. Have you been able to find a solution?

I tried the solution in this thread: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/250293/pawn-ability-to-collide-dependent-on-root-collisio.html
but it didn’t work for me.

In my special case, the issue was, that i scaled the vehicle component not the same in all 3 axis. So the collision was wrong (it scaled proportional only). You can enable the collision boxes in the viewport to visualize the collisions of your meshes. Hope that helps!

Hi Fatorice, my problem is that there is just no collision at all. The issue for me is not with the scale of the collision. I want to have a similar hierarchical setup as you with the components; I want to have a scene as the root, and with the static mesh and cameras as sibling components to one another.

I also learned that I cannot really use the “Set Updated Component” node in my case, because the pawn movement is custom-scripted and not based on one of the preset Movement Components in UE4.

Well did you check, that your expected collision boxes match the real one? You can do this by enabling the collision “debug view”.

Yes, I had been using the collision debug view. I was able to find a way to get it working. I had to create a child static mesh, applied the same static mesh asset for the child, and used the collision of that child component for hit and overlap events. It’s weird that the parent static mesh cannot generate hit or overlap events. This seems to be a way to work around it, if you want to have a hierarchy where the root is a scene component.