Niagara Beam Particle Only Renders Over Mesh

Another weird Niagara issue… (or maybe just beams in general cause I haven’t tested it on Cascade)

After creating a beam particle system, on occasion the beam will only render when there is a mesh behind the beam.

279686-laserrender1.jpg

It’s super weird. I’ve also had the exact opposite happen just as frequently; the beam will only render when there isn’t a mesh behind it. Building the scene doesn’t solve the issue either.

So I went digging in the project settings because the last time my beam was doing weird things like disappearing it was because my Near Clipping Plane was too high. And no this has nothing to do with the bounding box of the particle system. It seems like it is actually a rendering problem.

The only thing that I’ve found to temporarily remedy the issue is to go into project settings and check (or uncheck) “Occlusion Culling.” That’s right! Whatever it’s state, it needs to be the opposite (SUPER WEIRD). Then close and re-open the project and like magic beams are visible again.

If anyone knows a more permanent fix or could explain what on earth is going on that’d be lovely.
Otherwise Occlusion Culling is the only work around. I assume switching the OC causes the scene to re-render on start-up and (sometimes) fix the issue.

Any ideas?

This bug has still evaded me, I’m starting to think Occlusion Culling has nothing to do with this, and it’s just sheer random occurrence. Sometimes the scene will load up and the laser will be only on the mesh, other times it’ll be only not on the mesh, like this:

Other times it will be working just fine. I think I’ve found that when I manipulate any parameter inside the Niagara editor it will cause this bug to occur (but not all the time) like it’s such a weird bug, I can’t seem to find the cause or the solution, it’s seemingly random when it will decide to break.