So after years of contemplating getting into 3D, and learning some Cinema4D, which is limited to modeling and very counter-intuitive, and trying some Unity, I was convinced Unreal Engine 4 was the way to go.
I ended buying a WHOLE new Macbook Pro to test it and planned on later buy a whole PC.
What a huge disappointment. I understand Unreal Engine is a reference for engines, it says a lot on the horrible environment game developers have to work in…because here is my experience and all the thing I’ve notice which ended-up make me give-up Unreal Engine 4:
- When you download the app, the last version is OSX compatible, it’s perfect, that’s all you would expect from a modern application.
- Then you fire up Epic Launcher and you realize that the interface is not even compatible with high DPI…in 2015.
- Then you install the engine, try to find the Marketplace asset you downloaded from the website but can’t find your “vault” and fire-up the engine
- You realize that it has to start the engine, THEN you have to start and wait for a single UE Editor to open-up, and when you try to bake light you realize that if you have a firewall, it simply doesn’t work
- The overall of the interface is very screen-estate consuming and clunky
- You try to save a projet, and define a default folder, you can’t, then you try to retrieve your project, they’re not there, then you try to open or add content from the vault and you realize this is the most non-sensical, obnoxious, out of this world way to manage it: you simply can’t fire up an Editor and open-up asset from content pack or just open an Editor with content pack and you have to add first add them to each individual project that the launcher doesn’t even find although you can’t even set the default folder to save these.
- When I’m launching an Editor from the project library it is even asking for the build I want to launch it with.
- Randomly the Editor is not even launching and stuck at 94%
- Trying to launch a game build, but error came up
Clearly this is the kind of obnoxiously bad app that I’ll waste more time debugging just to make it work normally than using. I’m really disappointed that Unreal Engine is not the modern engine promised bu just another 10 years old counter-intuitive interface that makes me understand why developing in 3D is so long, tedious, budget and time consuming…