Download

New to game dev, will my computer handle all the work?

Hello everybody,

I’ve been a 3D artist for quite a long time and now I’m considering to learn a game engine to develop Virtual Reality applications but I’m worried that my computer will not be able to handle the amount of power, below are my specs

Hardware Overview

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac14,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B12
SMC Version (system): 2.15f7

Graphic/Displays
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fea
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3782
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Should I consider the option to sell my mac and build a PC? a big turn off is that oculus does not support osx…

I will really appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

1. I recommend AT LEAST 16GB RAM
  2. That GPU isn’t going to be near sufficient for UE4, let alone VR.
  3. It’s an iMac, and let’s face it, 50%+ of what you paid was for the logo on the back.

Yes, your current setup won’t be sufficient for VR.

Specs I recommend (I have them, they work great, and are good price to performance wise):

Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti
24GB RAM
i7 4790K
250 GB+ SSD

Ultimately, your needs depend on your usage/scale of VR development, but the specs above will do fine for most.

Nice reply from Jamendxman3, though I think it’s a little exaggerated.

You can use your i5 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM and GT 755M 1024 MB for Unreal Engine 4 in general. It’s not the best configuration, but it will work, depending on the game. I am having Windows in mind though, I don’t have much experience with Mac.

These specs are not good enough for VR though. On some occasions you will experience slowdowns due to the little RAM, and on huge games it may even crash (Open World Demo, for instance). The processor is OK (the more the merrier of course). The GPU is OK for not too heavy games (I use a similar one). The GPU is not good for VR though.

I used to run on a mba mid 2013 11" UE 4.10 until 3 or so weeks ago that it got trashed by water… now I use my PC which have decent specs but no ssd, thought not tryed nothing with oculus… dont know even if you can install taht on osx.

From what I see, it seems that Oculus are focusing on Windows at the moment, and for the near future. I can’t say for sure, but I think that using Mac for VR is not the best idea, due to the reason mentioned. Furthermore, Macs tend to have slower GPU’s, and you really need a fast GPU for VR.

Thanks for your answers, unfortunately jamendxman3 is right, you paid the double of what the computer is really worth just for the logo… my best move right now is to get my hands on a PC with the recommended specs.

Thanks again guys!!!

Just know that you’ll save 10-30% if you custom build your PC, by just grabbing the parts off of Amazon. Not only that, but certain manufacturer builds will not be compatible with other parts if you intend on upgrading later on, plus I would never trust the cooling of a manufacturer build.

Already on the process of buying! since the gygabyte GTX 980 ti is way out of my budget for now, will a evga gtx 970 do the job?

The 970 is the recommended card as per FB/Oculus, but that is for playing the games. It will work for development, yes… but if you’re serious about developing, upgrade to 1 (or 2, or 4) GTX 980’s.

Thank you, I guess I will give up on my vacation plans so I can go for this gem

But UE4 does not utilize more than 1 GPU?

I’m not sure if UE4 does or not. Regardless, other applications that are involved in the development life cycle should be able to use the available power.

You won’t have any problems developing for VR with a 970 , it is more than enough to handle the editor. You will also get the added benefit of immediately testing your game on the hardware you need to target to get on the Oculus store.

If you got the cash, get ONE 980 ti. More than one is currently not worth it. In the future, with upcoming improvements in multi gpu modes that might change.