New sample projects: Lyra Starter Game and City Sample

To help you explore all the new features in Unreal Engine 5, we’re offering two free sample projects for you to download.

Lyra Starter Game

Lyra Starter Game is a sample gameplay project built alongside Unreal Engine 5 development to serve as an excellent starting point for creating new games, as well as a hands-on learning resource. We plan to continue to upgrade this living project with future releases to demonstrate our latest best practices.

Download Lyra Starter Game and check out the supporting documentation.

City Sample

The City Sample is a free downloadable sample project that reveals how the city scene from The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience was built. The project—which consists of a complete city with buildings, vehicles, and crowds of MetaHuman characters—demonstrates how we used new and improved systems in Unreal Engine 5 to create the experience. In addition to the complete sample, the content is available in separate packs, so you can download just the vehicles, for example. Three related third-party content packs are also available.

Download the City Sample

4 Likes

Does the City Sample include the rail shooter section when first running The Matrix Awakens? That’s the part I’m actually interested in the most.

Thanks for the new sample!

I wasn’t able to open nor the City Sample nor the character’s one. It’s like missing things all around. I just simply didn’t try to open any of the others.

If you’re looking for the Lyra Starter Game content (such as maps and blueprints for specific game types), it is added via PlugIn -

LyraPlugins

LyraExample Content - shared materials, such as grids.

ShooterCore Content - the core elements of the LyraShooterGame experience - gameplay logic for both modes, specific Gameplay Abilities like Dash, Blueprints for actors such as

teleporters and grenades, Bots, Weapons and User Interface elements.

ShooterMaps Content - the maps used by the LyraShooterGame (Expanse and Convolution), with associated materials and content

TopDownArena Content - the content for the TopDownArena experience, from the map generator to power ups.

4 Likes

I downloaded the CitySample project, and opened it in UE, but all I get is a black screen with some white lettering. I read the “READ ME” - and it has a lot of information about Houdini. Is a Houdini subscription required to explore and use the CitySample project? If not, how do I get beyond this black screen to the actual demo?

1 Like

Resolved: Deleting and re-downloading the 5.0 release solved the problem.

Lyra Starter Game project crashes on launch for me (with a fairly non-descript error). Anyone else managed to launch it successfully?

Good evening, i’m having a lot of plugin issues with City Sample, it just doesn’t open i’ve downloaded the project 3 times already, it requires a few plugins for UE5 that i’m unable to find and install on my enginve version. anybody else had this kind of issues?

3 Likes

I downloaded the Lyra sample game for UE5, but am getting some errors trying to open this in Unreal Engine 5. Is this game fully compatible for UE5? Is there anything I need to install before launching the Lyra game project?

3 Likes

Yeah I have the same issue. Was wondering if it was processing something in the background - but I get nada at all

You should manually load either Map/Big_City_LVL or Map/Small_City_LVL in editor and then run it.

2 Likes

It seems that happens when you had Preview 2 installed and it auto-‘upgraded’ to release. Remove the engine and reinstall it - it helped me.

Latest source version (5.1) from github also works well.

3 Likes

Awesome - thanks a lot - will try!

Loved this demo. I liked the locomotion system, dash, weapon anims feels good, reloads anims, etc, all together are really fun to play. Everything looks and plays solid. AI behaves well and the integrated level design tools are fantastic. I have just initiated my first game mod using Paragon skins. Thank you, Epic team for such successful launch.

1 Like

Thank you this was extremely helpful and the actual reason I clicked on this post in the first place, I couldn’t find out where any of the maps were :laughing:

Finally achieved to open the City Sample. I just needed Visual Studio Community 2022, instead of 2019.

About the City Sample Crowds, there are still problems; when I open it, there are even empty folders, and those with content, aparently including already applied materials when looking them from the Conten Browser, are without any materials too whe opening them. And of course, I don’t find any ready-to-use human (is it as is intended to be, or also ready humans are missing?)

Thank you

Oh, another thing:

The City is showing me some errors related to assets saved with a newer version of the engine, and even the Content Examples project too, telling me it can’t open the initial map, due to being saved with a newer version:

Theorically, I have the latest one, as it doesn’t show the “Preview 2” label:

(Of course it’s opening with the 5.0.0 one)

Thanks! Where can I find Lyra on github?

Thank you, that works

Nice. What are Paragon skins?