New Editor Restriction to Prevent Island Instability Caused by Using Certain Textures

This is standard game dev optimization, just change your texture to 2048x1024 and you’ll should be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Uhm? This makes no sense, textures should be square, how is that going to look like Minecraft? I need to understand this logic because literally every texture made in for example Substance Designer / Painter is 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, etc.

2 Likes

Make the image 1:1, stretch it in engine through material, mesh, UVs, etc.

2 Likes

Epic needs to understand that UEFN is a UGC hybrid not a gamedev engine. UGC is meant to be dumbed down and have no friction in development, that’s the main difference from Gamedev engines (and that is hosted within a game or platform). Any problem that does not relate specifically to gamedev should not be the user’s. The reason UEFN is a diamond in the rough is because it can bridge the gap between gamedev and UGC, specifically have the power of gamedev with the agility and ease of UGC.

Now if initiatives like this one get constantly introduced (or when you disabled the paper2D pipeline which had a lot of useful shortcuts in optimizing the game for 2D, or you made half of the settings we found inside the game cause an error when opening live edit), UEFN is becoming a restrictive game dev engine, which at this point from a developer perspective is not appealing anymore, I can use Unity which is much faster and intuitive to do things (I don’t care about engine performance, I am not making realistic games).

UGC is what keeps this engine alive, so start looking at making it easier to do things instead of adding more friction every update. And don’t listen to the 3 game dev studios cause they are a minority, listen to the Creative community which is feeling more and more abandoned everyday you add changes that are not pre-educated and are not easy to do in the first place.

The point of UEFN should be “I have this cool idea, how fast can I make it before I forget it” rather “Let’s make the most optimized and convention-abiding game”, latter should be the engine’s responsibility.

7 Likes

I get the enforcement, for reasons, they are teaching us to not have bad habits before we even know the why’s which I respect, I do also accept that if it runs like ■■■■, its kinda on us.

What I don’t appreciate is a days notice when as one of the techy dev ops guys i now have to comb 8+ maps that our team are in active dev on so that we have no friction of people not working. Its hard to run a business on these radical pivots, especially ones regarding verification.
An extra release cycle before enforcement would have been super. But it is what it is and we will adapt :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey all, of course I’ll be passing along your feedback. Also as an FYI, the next update is planned for this Thursday.

7 Likes

All of my textures are optimized. But do you know what would force a server disconnect during gameplay?

I hope this doesn’t make UEFN too much harder to use/learn… and I'm already having trouble with UEFN in general.

UEFN should be easy to use and learn, but instead I need to use most of my time just learning a whole new programming language if I want to get anything done. All I really know how to do is landscaping and prefab placement, and all of the tutorials for Verse I can find otherwise are so advanced. By the way most of the options for some device are straight up removed (Character Device outfits, Prop Manipulator does just about nothing, etc.), which doesn’t help at all from trying to move from Creative to UEFN.

UEFN was supposed to be an easy way to create big projects. You can’t just limit what we can do with every update, it’s already really hard to use, coding is SUPER advanced, and removing all access to image files that AREN’T sized to power of two numbers is just an insult to injury.

I don’t see how this update is helpful in the first place anyway, it’s just limiting us from creating experiences with custom files even more.

2 Likes

If you dont really care about fidelity and just want to create, just change them to “Stretch to square power of two” its less than ideal due to pixel shifting/stretching etc but you have to be a AAA stickler to care, or moreso when you start to care, you will have the knowhow to correctly work with textures anyway.

If i keep rambling im not 100% sure the difference doing this as opposed to padding and adjusting texture UV’s…

If somebody smarter than me wants to interject, please.

1 Like

Yeah um ditto/ just when i think i kinda understand what people are talking about, it just gets all rejambled again and i find it hard to follow/ and by dumbing it down … i mean hardcore please. like talking to a 6 yo … a tree stump even plz !. lol

Questions : ( and they will most certainly seems especialy dumb to most of you but here goes , and i apologize in advance for any redundencies in my queries )

• Will this have any issue after the update on thursday moving forward with new maps made and imagined after hours and hors of brain numbing stacking drooling reptitive patience … ( breathes ) lol in creative then imported?

• Is all this why that error list fullll of invalidations pop up after importing a cretive map in uefn. i just got acces to it 3 days ago … and i don’t think i have even skimmed the surface/// scratch that … i mean i now i have’nt.

But after importing a map yesterday or the day before, where my memory warning bar was only at half. and then reimporting it back to creative. cause i got mometarily scared of uefn lol. Memory was over maxed out to the yin yang and in certain areas it would get soooo choppy, where b4 there was none whatsoever. This issue was at it’s worse when i had the build tool out. I do not know if i toggled an option by mistake but the tool flashes on all assets of the same model when aiming it a different things.

So anyways, yeah i think what i really wanna know is that after the update, do we have to STILL not use thiese >textures<or that creating something from scratch.

Ty for your patience and i hope i am somewhat clear enough.

I totally agree with you on this.
It’s best to actually adjust the textures from your high res source files but…
…I would rather do what you suggested over doing the padding method and risk that the UV adjustment will be slightly off.

The stretching method will save the textures in the ‘stretched’ state and then be rendered in game as compared to the padding method which would add extra pixels to the image and save it in that state and then the UV adjustment would essentially do the stretching there.

1 Like

Hey folks—we hear you and agree we should’ve given a better path to successfully updating the textures for your maps. For now, we’re removing the texture restriction, but prepare for it to be re-enabled in the future. We’re working on a way to ease the transition for you all, but this restriction helps ensure maps are supported across platforms.

Please note, maps that over-use non-power of two textures at very high resolutions may be at risk of removal, as they can result in stability issues on consoles.

5 Likes

@Flak you mention this but im confused because ive remade all my textures to be power of two in my photo editor so why are they still showing up on texturegroup query? none are showing up anymore in neverstream but this one stumps me lol
please help.

p.s. im using world texture group on most except actual hud textures. correct me if im wrong.