Need to recompile C++ everytime

I’m not sure if it’s a bug or it’s just my fault, but every time I restart Rocket I need to compile at least one time my game code otherwise the project load the default code (MyCharacter blueprint and it’s camera code). I then compile the game code from the editor and my Camera, SkeletalMesh and Blueprint are load and used correctly.

I created a blueprint that I linked through my code, I don’t have any compilation error and the log doesn’t mention anything (but it says it load my gameinfo correctly). My project is based on the C++ Third Person template.

So I’m not sure if it’s a wrong setup from my own project or it’s a bug. It’s hard to know since I’m just discovering the Project system of Rocket.

I posted the same problem when I started.

in short: hitting ‘Compile’ in the editor only makes a temporary build of your code. if you want the changes to stick, you must compile it from VS (for which the editor can’t be running)

I did a little search before asking but I didn’t found your question. Thanks, it’s working now ! :slight_smile:

I’m stuck with this again, with the latest beta (build 1711197), even if I build with VS and the editor closed, my blueprint is not loaded properly until I build the game code in the editor. I have to compile it every time. I don’t get any error in the log so I’m a bit lost.

I checked with a little level blueprint log message, and my GameInfo appears to be loaded properly.

Hi Fabrice -

Can I get a little more detail about what you’re doing? Which configuration (Debug / Development) are you building in with VS? What are the symptoms of your blueprint not loading correctly?

Thanks!

Gosh, sometimes I feel so shameful (I’m really newbish with VS). It was because my solution was in Debug mode. I totally forgot that parameter, I switched to Development and everything is fine now.

Glad it was something easy to fix!

Hello Fabrice,

I see that there is a new question about this issue you created. The new question has better information and is about the new build. I’m closing this one so we can assist you with the new problem.

Anyone interested can follow this issue here:
https://rocket.unrealengine.com/questions/2522/bug-dx10-shaders-take-time-and-have-to-be-compiled.html

-Alexander