Need help with Vive with Arms mesh

Hello!!!

I was curious on how someone could use the HTC Vive controllers to move an arms mesh? I’m not sure what I can do to have the hand bones move with the vive, but it would only move the ‘hand’ bone… the rest of the arm wont move. Should I use IK Handles to get this working right? If so, How would I use the Vive with IK handles on the arms to behave like the IK?

Quick and dirty thought, take it with a grain of salt because I might have no clue what i am talking about. But in my own project i am just using guns but i’ve also attached things to the guns…line trace point…ammo counter etc… So would it be possible to attach something to the hands of your arm mesh…then reference that point a blue print and on every tick compare the distance between the point and another point and with that info open and close the arms or just run a animation?

So basically you’re saying to give some sort of AimOffset a try for each arm?

Yea kinda like that, really no clue if its possible though. Not something I’ve remotely tried myself. If you can pull it off I’d love to see the result. I havent found one video with someone setting up VR arms. You’d think there would been one by now, but i guess it depends what you are looking to do. My game is turning into a training shooter kinda like space pirate, but looks just fine with just guns at the moment. Some full arms would be cool for actually picking up guns though vs just popping them into the location.

Use FABRIK nodes in the animation blueprint to run bone chain IK to points on the controller, quick and dirty solution. Full IK would take a lot more work than that and a dedicated model.

A couple of things:

1. I dont mean to be that guy, but could you please show us the BP of how FABRIK has been done?
  2. What if I don’t have IK on my skeletal mesh? Would it work?

FABRIK directly controls bone chains so you don’t need any special IK rigs. You’ll have to google for tutorials using it because I don’t have anything to give you, my implementation took me an hour and I haven’t touched it since.

I managed to get the movement… but agreed it is a bit derpy…

HOWEVER

I was curious on how you managed to get the rotations with it? For some reason, it wont get the orientation of the controller