Need explanation of Projects & Build Targets

I created a new C++ Third Person Starter project, called “MyGame”

When i build the UE4 project in visual studio, depending on the build target i get these files:
(inside the “GITHUB\UnrealEngine\Binaries\Win64” folder)

• UE4Editor.exe
  • UE4Client.exe
  • UE4Server.exe

And when i build the “MyGame” project, i get the following files:
(inside the “Projects\MyGame\Binaries\Win64” folder)

• UE4Editor.exe
  • MyGame.exe

Questions:

• What is the difference in all of these files?
  • What command line switches work with which files?
  • Which file & command line do i use when distributing my client?
  • Which file & command line do i use to launch a dedicated server?

We’d love to have more explanations or wiki info on the build targets & how to properly package / distribute / launch them :smiley:

Thanks!

I have the same question.

also my package game never works until I change UE4Editor.exe name to my “game name” which is build in “Projects\MyGame\Binaries\Win64” folder

do anybody know the solution for this issue?!!!

Hello,

Thank you for your report. We were not able to investigate this on the engine version you reported, but there have been many version changes to UE4 since this question was first posted. With a new version of the Engine comes new fixes and it is possible that this issue has changed or may no longer occur. Due to timetable of when this issue was first posted, we are marking this post as resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported in the current engine version, then please respond to this message with additional information and we will investigate as soon as possible. If you are experiencing a similar, but different issue at this time, could you please submit a new report for it.

Thanks!