Need advice regarding graphic concept

Okay, so I am new to UE4, and I seem to have found myself a bit befuddled, and in a bit of a predicament. I am trying to conceptually create an environment much reminiscent to an old-school Zelda title, or a handheld Pokemon game. I have been experimenting with 3d top-down worlds using sprites and textures that mimic the retro 2d style. My predicament is in what I have done so far: my 2d sprites and 3d world perspectives clash (like a slanted piece of paper next to a cubed block), though I would still like the height and interesting level creation the 3d offers while still appearing to be a 2d environment (similar to the game Pokemon black and white). Should I scale it back to being purely 2d, or is there a way to have the sprites and levels blend more efficiently?

Essentially this is what I’m working with so far.

I assume you mean the hard edges you’re seeing between the floor and walls? Try putting some extra geometry in the form of trims or borders at the point of contact. You could also try interesting textures through vertex painting or adding props to break it up a bit.

my understanding is that those hybrid games have their 3D worlds built at a slight slant. There was an article on how they did it in A Link Between Worlds, but I can’t find it at the moment.

It should look fine if you switch the camera to ortographic perspective.

Thank you all so much. I will try these techniques and do a bit more research on my own as well.