NavMeshBoundsVolume doesn't always work

I am having issues with the NavMeshBoundsVolume under the landscape heightmap when creating a cave.

Landscape areas that allow a NavMeshBoundsVolume only allow NavMeshBoundsVolume underground in the cave system; however, landscape areas that do not allow the NavMeshBoundsVolume do not work underground.

See the attached.

Is there a way to allow cave/underground NavMeshBoundsVolume under landscape areas that do not allow this above ground?

It’s really hard to tell what’s happening from your picture, actually. Have you tried just making the underground floor a mesh?

Sorry for the unclear picture.

I took a white cube and stretched it to be the really big white rectangle as shown in the picture.

I then placed a NavMeshBoundsVolume around that really big white cube/rectangle.

I then pressed ‘P’ to see the navigational areas.

What transpired is a green navigational area on the cube/rectangle portion above the heightmap which is as I would expect.

I was hoping that the green navigational area would be on the cube/rectangle portion below the heightmap; however, I got an inconsistent result in that I do get a green navigation area below the heightmap; however, only below heightmap areas that would permit/allow a valid navigational areas above the heightmap. I was trying to show this in the image where the cube/rectangle is white in the area of a steep terrain elevation change.

Anyway, is there any way to override???, or prevent, navigational areas from checking heightmap data to see if that navigational area is valid?

I assume that the code for NavMeshBoundsVolume is non-trivial; however, would it be possible to overload this “function” with a custom C++ function that somehow ignores checking the heightmap for making a navigational area valid?

I just answered my own question… …yeah… …the Landscape has a option called “Fill Collision Under Landscape for Navmesh”. If checked, it claims that it will not allow navmesh under the terrain. If not checked, it will.

For reasons unknown, this was checked. I unchecked it and the functionality I am looking for has been enabled.

FYI… …if checked and in my experimentation, this doesn’t “always” not allow valid navmesh under the terrain; however, maybe it is enough for someone…