Nanite meshes in UE 5 look terrible

I imported some nanite level meshes into my scene and they look absolutely terrible. Im am running DirectX12 and I tried re-downloading the meshes with no prevail. Does anyone know how to fix this?

1 Like

Nanite does not stand for ā€œunlimited detailā€. Nanite meshes are just models without LOD mesh reduction and with 8k textures. You are probably looking at a relatively small mesh from perspective of an ant. Every nanite mesh will look bad if you put camera close enough to it. Unlimited resolution textures havenā€™t been yet invented, procedural texturing asideā€¦

1 Like

In this quixel/megascan demos they use these assets and they look incredible. Im not extremely close to the object either, the textures and mesh literally look like theyve been reduced by a quarter compared to what has been showcased by Unreal Engine. I cant even tell what im looking at when i look at this object, thats how bad the texturing is

Is it just me ( could be ), or are the triangles in that Nanite view back to front? IE, the bigger polys should be at the backā€¦

I still think you are making extreme closeup of something thatā€™s supposed to be laying on the ground next to characterā€™s feet :slight_smile:

Whatā€™s in the official epic demos are large structures composed out of thousands of these tiny assets :slight_smile: If you were to get close to those, youā€™d get similarly low texture detail as well.

Nah, it just show how much up close he got with the camera. The triangles in front are so big because they are not reduced by nanite. Those are the original high res triangles of the mesh. Heā€™s just too close and expecting the asset to look sharp regardless of the distance. :slight_smile:

heres a full shot of a completely nanite mesh. it has nothing to do with how close i am to the object. its obviously an issue with the program

Which mesh is it? Iā€™ll take a look. What name does it have in MS?

its the large tundra rock formation

1 Like

This appears to be fallback mesh. Are you sure you are using DX12? Itā€™s not just about running it, you also need to use it as your RHI, and you need to use SM6 in 5.1

yes i have directx12 and sm6 checked

The mesh on the left looks high res. Last possibility is if you are dragging your meshes into the level, Bridge often places in temporary lowres mesh until the proper high res one downloads. They donā€™t download instantly, and if itā€™s nanite mesh, it can take up to several minutes until the nanite mesh is downloaded.

Most people usually donā€™t drag and drop from bridge to the viewport, but instead click download, and click Add button once download is done.

im downloading and adding, im not dragging

this is what assets in quixels tutorials/commericals look like

So this is it, close up

Short answer is, you canā€™t get that close. About here is the max

I think youā€™re getting confused exactly how these meshes were used in the demo scene. The player wasnā€™t walking along the top of the mesh, there was probably thousands of these meshes in the scene. So youā€™re never actually that closeā€¦

Like this ( very quick version )

That tiny thing is the player. I have 7 of those meshes blown up to 5 x

this is one of the close ups for the short, maybe they made a speciality mesh with higher detail but that resolution is very good. Also, i shoulve have clarified that im not making a game, im making a cinematic which will have upclose shots of rocks and what not. sorry for the confusion

Thatā€™s not a single mesh. Thatā€™s many individual meshes composed together.

I think you need this, or smaller

If it looks like itā€™s about foot sized in the demo, you need something roughly foot sized

This is the player standing on a ā€˜tundra rocky groundā€™. I downloaded it ā€˜medumā€™ quality, no nanite, and then X0.5

Nanite is not for close up detail.

my friend, you found the answear? its been 3 days since iā€™m trying to figure it outā€¦ did everything that i could

surprisingly it appears most people donā€™t know that you can tweak nanite settings for each mesh.

Iā€™ve had issues with nanite showing black triangles or looking bad. Turns out Iā€™ve just used the default nanite settings for that particular model. Once you start messing with these settings you can fix some of the issues.