My new Acer Nitro 5 running Photoshop, Blender 2.83 and Unreal 4.25.1 ...

all day and all open at the same time without any issues whatsoever.
i5 core with 16 GB dual channel RAM and Nvidia GTX 1650 graphics card.
I think this is really excellent for a $800 laptop :slight_smile:

No need to go spend any more money on a machine for game development :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They’re not that great; they use very cheap Toshiba hard drives that tend to die quickly, so that’s worth replacing sooner rather than later. They also have a tendency for the CPU to run at over 90C, so a cooling station or under-clocking is basically necessary for it to not die within 18 months.

Yeah CPU heat issue well noted.
I knew that before I bought it.
I currently have 2 X SSD drives in it there is an open slot for a 2.5 inch HDD drive.
The 2 fans are both on the left side of machine with heat pipes running past CPU that is why heat builds up there.
I just don’t run the machine that “hard” that’s all and so far no issues.
However yes we will have to see how long it lasts I hear you.
Even if it lasts only a year I will be happy.
Its only $800. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi this is my first Acer computer.
Had Asus before.
I went with this particular model because of price and good YouTube reviews.
Also Acer is a smaller company which specializes in gaming computers (so I heard) and I figured that they would be more focused on that specific product.
Went with feeling in my gut and was pleasantly surprised that this model actually exceeded my expectations. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well first off the machine was delivered to me with Windows 10 not even a completed install I had to finish it.
That was directly from the Asus factory.
Then after 5 years something blew out on the mother board.
Took the whole thing apart multipmeter tested all the components was unable to determine what the problem was.
Asus also don’t publish schematics of their mother board which p__sed me off.
They actually think we want to ship in an 8.8 pound machine at out own cost.
Main reason was the machine was just old.
Have to say flawless performance for 5 years though and it did work 7 days a week for whole days at a time.
So not bitter towards Asus just disappointed that they wont publish their schematics and also the components on their mother boards
and other items like power boards and power supply must match batch number of your machine otherwise you can run into issues.
Also ordering mother boards online bad idea.
They may or may not come with CMOS battery for example.
No certainty where they come from and I couldn’t find a model and batch number for CPU to match anywhere.
So decided bey bey Asus and go with different brand and also cheaper one so that if it breaks again and can just toss it and buy new one.

Main strategy now is just to go forward with the cheapest possible machine that I can get away with and when it breaks just buy another one rather than dealing with trips to Mars and back with computer repairs.

Yes me no pot plant that is for sure.

About the Nitro series in general, they all have the same issues. I have a three year older model that’s needed quite a lot of care and attention over the years - it’s been disassembled multiple times for cleaning, reseating the heatsink, replacing the hard-drive etc; but a 14" notebook with a 1060 in it for £600 isn’t to be sniffed at.

My experience with ASUS on the other hand is that their motherboards tend to be the failure point as soon as the warranty expires, and their customer support is non-existent. I won’t use them again.

Yeah I think computers are like cars you know you either get a bad one or good one. A lot has to do with how and what you do with it too.
Some people tinker too much with their machines and then it goes south.
I tend to leave mine as close to factory settings as possible and they last for years.
I only install something on it if I HAVE too.
Leave it as clean as possible.

Something off the wall: The Nvidia Jetson AGX Xavier is $699, and comes with 32 GB of RAM, and an 8-core 64-bit Carmel ARM CPU. It also comes with a 512-CUDA-core based Volta GPU built in. And it’s super tiny :slight_smile: It’s basically just one cooling fan with a circuit board glued to the bottom.
It has only 32 GB of flash disk built in (eMMC) but you can add an M.2 drive for a fast system disk, too.
It runs linux, so you’d have to download and build it yourself, which I don’t know how well it will work on ARM – does PhysX exist, for example? But if it could be made to work, it might be surprisingly decent.
Anyway, if anyone is into trying to make this work on smaller/lower-cost systems, this might be something worth spending time on.

Mine came with WDC WD10SPZX-21Z10T0, lasted for 2 years pretty well, has ryzen 2500u and rx 560x, temperature does not go above 75 on full cpu and gpu load(after cleaning fans etc. and applying thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal paste)

I opened and cleaned dust from it like 5 times, now I use compressed air to clean it regularly(almost everyday, let’s see if it’s needed to disassemble it)

I think the main issue is with the drivers, I encountered two moderate bugs in Blender, like it being stuck at command line and when scaling, moving objects etc. sometimes the value would just snap to a much higher/lower value than it should.

1 Like