My mind is blown at how laughably limited UEFN is.

Where on earth do I start? I was really excited when I first saw UEFN available for download. I was disappointed to learn that UEFN does not make use of blueprint scripting, but that isn’t the end of the world. Blueprints are god tier, but Fortnite has a huge audience and it looks easy to publish your work once you are done.

Slowly the disappointments started to pile up. I looked at the limitations of UMG especially when it comes to widget blueprints and thought to myself “Yikes”. I’m not the biggest fan of Verse syntax either. Then I come across the biggest issue with UEFN and that is how incredibly limited users are in being able to modify player characters as well as NPCs.

I was stunned to find out we can’t even play animations on player chars. Is Epic serious? I was so excited to make my own custom map or game involving spell casting and spell battles. It doesn’t even have to be complex animations. I want the power to at least move the players arms and upper body at least a little. NOPE! I thought surely Epic will let us trigger existing animations at least whenever we wanted. NOPE! We can’t even set position or rotation directly. We can’t even, to my knowledge, change camera settings.

The fact that character devices don’t even let use you use existing character models is ridiculous. Guard devices have a small list of character models at least, but that is not enough. I kept losing motivation until I decided to simply go back to UE 5 and maybe give UEFN another 7 months or so.

I will say that I have a higher opinion of blueprints than ever before. I really do feel like I can do anything I want with them. I know that can be a tough standard to beat. :smiling_imp:

Good luck to everyone and I’ll check UEFN out again way in the future. :rofl:

3 Likes

I genuinely hope nobody from Epic even bothers to look at your post. Imagine feeling so privileged that you thought you’d come in and just crap on everybody’s hard work to get this even working, let alone everything that YOU want. There is a lot going on in UEFN and of course it’s limited as they have just started working on it. Those that are making an effort are working hard on squashing bugs and adding bits and pieces as they go to make a stable platform for people to build Fortnite maps.

There’s a saying for people like you that those that try to bring people down for their efforts are those that have never had to make real effort. Your post says so much more about you as a person than it does about Epic and the amazing team behind UEFN.

16 Likes

I don’t know what you’ve expected?
The Unreal Editor for Fortnite (UEFN) launched as a beta, of course there are still a lot of things missing, that’ll be added later on. I mean already in the current state of UEFN we can do so many things we couldn’t do before

2 Likes

Once you do c++ and need all the freedom you can get you won’t even look at frameworks like UEFN. Can’t imagine releasing a game or selling (is that even possible) with something built for fortnite but that’s me. It’s probably a fun creative tool for people to make hobby projects with, maybe it motivates some starting devs to learn the real thing.

bruh man - it’s early access to a Verse - that’s what it is. It’s good decision to give that access - so you can keep up with the state of the art. It’s not intended to make what you are asking for. You simply can’t make a good full mod or game with UEFN now. Learn now so you will be ready to the next update that’s it.

1 Like

I don’t like to bring people down either, even if I do because I see flaws everywhere.

But still as a developer I have to say that there are a lot of bugs that could be (maybe) easily fixed if they talked more to the community or even try to build islands like we do.

I’m not saying that they don’t care about what we say, I’m just saying that having colors on vehicles and rollercoasters isn’t exactly what I was looking for in an update.

The Ask Epic Anything was also a good idea, but I feel like most of the questions were left unanswered…

UEFN is still great and I’m glad they made it, I just don’t like that they’re adding things instead of fixing others, and sorry if I’m also bringing people down, that’s just my thoughts.

Could be a business decision prefer making new features over bugfixes, but that’s no excuse. I post about every bug I find on the bug reporting section of the forum, usually UI / slate bugs which need to be heard. I’m not sorry to anyone for sounding like a stressed out a**hole because programmers should realize that every time they build a fragile system or break one thousands to millions of people (in case of Unreal) are affected. It might just be beyond their skill level to maintain it properly, it needs to be realized to deal with the situation.

*Edit Wow did someone really report and hide the poster’s opinion?

3 Likes

I don’t have any problems with giving the dev team a very hard time when they make stuff and it breaks because it’s fragile and then they don’t fix it but instead add new things. I hate that too and find it really irresponsible to not make it the highest priority to fix the broken. That’s why Adobe’s Premiere became so unpopular for a while and everybody went to some other video editing program, far too many bugs and performance issues. This problem plagues every dev team I think and it’s upon us users to hassle them with vigor :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean, yeah, it is? :crazy_face: Aren’t we allowed to provide feedback any more?

UEFN is half-finished and half-broken. If you compare it to other game engines (which it tries to), it’s super limited, unnecessarily complicated (looking at you, verse, and you sequencing UI), poorly documented (official tutorials that start to explain what cat is and in the next step jump to final form).

More often than not I find something that does not work as it should, and that is not even trying fancy things. Anything fancy and you better rely on voodoo hacks.

Ah, not intended to rant here, just got triggered by people who got triggered because someone is providing honest feedback.

Really interested to see what v25.0 will bring. If it’s anything like last patches, then we are on the dead ground here.

2 Likes

Honest feedback is fine, nobody is triggered, but constructive feedback is what a community is about. We’re all trying to grow here, cutting the feet out of a dev team isn’t a “triggering” thing, it’s simply counterproductive and should be discouraged. That’s the difference that you might be missing in this conversation.

We’re all frustrated at the half baked show we’re a part of, but I’ve been a part of enough half baked shows that make it big that it’s ok to be patient and work a bit harder in the beginning to get where we all want to be. The goal is to create cool stuff and make money and Epic is offering that for FREE. Hard to argue to much with that.

Well… There’s a business model in that. And we’re all investing time on responding to questions on this forum without getting paid :smiley: I don’t see much staff interaction on the forums, not nearly enough. I will never understand how the devs at EPIC who do get paid can screw up certain very important code so badly over and over. I agree that being constructive is the best way to motivate one to improve skill level but that is sadly not always a solution. What triggers me most is the ages old code reskinned in new paint, which isn’t fixed but broken even further now, present in all the modern engine versions. Broken UI, broken input, broken splitscreen, broken blueprints, broken dev and debug tools. It is triggering but what can we do. This is beyond the UEFN topic but UEFN is built on top of that all too. If you have thousands or millions of users you must be aware of the impact it has to release “half working” software not as experimental but as the latest version you are forced to work with. They silently do force you because UE4 isn’t receiving the bugfixes UE5 does and the terms and conditions for marketplace sellers only requires sellers to support the latest 3 major engine versions. There is nothing about long term support. Nothing optional. Just very experimental. You can’t ship like that and expect your customers to trust you, it damages reputation and causes further damage. Free is not an excuse. If you cause a bug and that bug causes a thousand people having to debug it and implement their own fix that is a thousand hours lost per bug. We have all seen this sort of “model” with Bethesda games in the modder community where the players were basically working their butts off for free to fix millions of issues in the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series and while I truely hope EPIC does not go that route it sure looks like it doesn’t it

No devs are harmed during the production of this thread, I hope. This is a huge company, not a small indie team so feedback is directed toward the “system” or “process”. But we need to provide it.

And yes, people were triggered obviously, because initial post, which didn’t break any rules, would not be hidden.

1 Like

I completely agree with you, perhaps I’ve just been part of too many large business “startups” that end up doing really well that I’ve seen the beginning enough to know where it’s going. UEFN is going somewhere for sure, I’m not sure of the speed but they are. I’ve seen staff get involved and it’s encouraging but feel a bit of discouragement of the copy and paste “post this to our bug form” where somebody might have a workaround or spot an error.

I have not been part of UE for very long so I don’t have the history you have and understanding of the path they have been on, I wish I did, but I’m new to this area and picking up history as I go. I think it’s good to be able to come with fresh eyes on a product with old eyes on the dev industry as a whole. I think being part of the beginning is both frustrating and exciting at the same time. We’ll see how it goes.

Haha… yes, no devs were harmed I’m sure. I can’t recall the whole content of the initial post, but it was useless for the most part from my memory. Nothing constructive nor useful.

I don’t know if anybody was “triggered” but I think breaking the rules of good community faith in the business, company and team is more than enough to just mute the user. No triggering required, just ignore and move on and it’s easier to ignore it if it is just removed. The original poster hasn’t even bothered to come back and reframe it all, and I think that says a lot.

As for the original joke of no devs harmed… everybody here is a human behind a keyboard. There’s something to be said about being even more careful about what we write as we’re not face to face. The original poster would have been kicked in the nuts if he was in person as it was so poorly written. Nobody has to be “harmed” but in a world of negativity we should be working harder than ever as a community to be a community and come together. We’ll all be better off for it.

The question that needs to be answered for any post on this forum, “does this post make the community an equal or better place for all? or does it make it worse?” That should be the bar if possible. For anything in life for that matter…

I’m astonished how lightly you take on muting users for stating opinion that is not inline with imaginary rule (where is that rule written?). That’s a dangerous route my friend.

And no, this is not a religion, I don’t know why you assumed that we are obliged to “good community faith”. This is business like any other.

I don’t recall the original post either but I think it was aligned with the title that still remains. No slur language at all, just being honest and showing disappointment. Nothing that could not be said directly to the responsible team. Yet once again, you are insinuating aggression toward stating honest opinion. Very strange.

Yes, I agree on the question asked but not on the answer you imply :slight_smile:

How about we all come together and start providing honest feedback. we came to live in a times where so many big companies produce such a bad software, and those ideas of “mute someone who disagrees” and “we should be working harder than ever as a community” might as well be part of the reason. Bigger part is probably symbiosis between producers and social media persons where they e.g. glorify even the tiniest patch as a “HUGE change that fixes everything” and followers not realizing that they do it for their own profit while in reality the community as a whole suffers.

For example, how about we provide the feedback for the patch, w/o harsh words, w/o kicking the nuts or muting anyone: It’s great that you fixed something, but feature-complete-wise you just brought the product from 13.7% to 13.73%. That’s not going to cut it long term and quality devs will leave? IMO that’s the feedback they need to hear to “make this better place for all”. Or at least attempt to.

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t report the post or be part of muting them. In general, I don’t care. Maybe be nice and you won’t get muted. There’s a way to be constructive and there are ways to just write like a ■■■■… Raise the bar.

Sure, hold them accountable, I’m all for that. Constructively and kindly. If the FREE system doesn’t work for you, then leave. Nobody is making anybody stay. Plenty of people will stay, many will leave, the cream will always rise to the top. If it isn’t UEFN then the investment by Epic will be for nothing and the numbers will show it.

We all vote with our wallet in the end and that will be the true equalizer for this all.

Either, I really couldn’t care less if people who write like a ■■■■ get muted, I’m not sure why you care so much. Having the privilege to complain but not the right is just part of being in a private enterprise. So many people think they can just say whatever they want when they want and then get mad when people think nothing of them and treat them as such.

I didn’t crap on their work. What on earth is wrong with you? I mention how amazing blueprints and UE are, and you claim that I crap on Epic. Really? You’re just posting to say “Epic is super awesome. How dare you criticize them?!?” Jeez

I gave very specific critiques. This wasn’t about tearing any person or group of people down.

Unbelievable.

Yes you’re right it’s early access. I was a bit hasty. I still wish it wasn’t so limited, but it is more powerful than I first realized. I’m still excited about where Verse and UEFN are headed, because I know they’re going to be very big in the future. I’ll simply come back in like 5 or 6 months.

1 Like

Kicked in the nuts? Wtf why are mods allowing this harassment and abuse? My original post gets muted but Graeme’s abuse is allowed?

2 Likes

I never imagined that you literally got kicked in the nuts for saying that you might get kicked in the nuts if you spouted off the way you did in front of somebody. Abuse indeed. Go get that nut kicking guy and teach him a lesson. Hopefully you recover from all the abuse sent your way.

The original post has been unmuted. Please keep the conversation on topic and civil. Thank you!

3 Likes