My first try with Lumen

Seems like that’s precisely what they did.

That is…interesting. I wonder what’s been happening in Epic’s rendering team, no tech updates for over two weeks and their biggest systems are disabled? Not to mention, I just tried to build the newest version and it broke in a way I’ve never run into before. Could be grasping at straws, just curious I suppose.

Yeah I was only able to get 2 of the main branches to compile and I had to use Visual Studio 2022 to compile it…the third branch required a .Net only available to 2019 but wouldn’t compile under 2019 either.

Curious. Part of me wonders if they’re on the verge of rewriting a major part of the system so everything’s just kind of a mess at the moment. Between a whole new geometry pipeline (Nanite), a whole new lighting pipeline (lumen) and a whole new material pipeline (strata), I wouldn’t be surprised if the system would need bigger overhauls than can be performed without having to disable large parts of the engine.

Yeah that was along the line of my thinking as well. I think it was the Main, and Release branches I was able to compile. Neither of which had Lumen enabled.

That was about a month ago…I just recompiled the Main and it seemed to still be in the same state.

That is deeply strange, and certainly frustrating. I’m going to always be grateful for the incredible things even 5.0 has facilitated, but there are so many things 5.1 already has ready: massive perf gains, nanite masking, PDO and WPO, strata for whatever that’s worth, lumen translucency, and more. 5.1 is when I think UE5 will really be in a better production state for next-gen quality, and I’m disappointed I’m unable to play with it until then.

Yeah, also I just discovered that you can’t use two-sided materials with Nanite. Also I enabled nanite on some of my walls and didn’t notice an improvement. In face I didn’t notice any improvement with Lumen on those walls…I’m getting weird lighting that moves around on the ceilings where the beams are…the light on them changes as I move the camera left/right…I wonder if that’s the ScreenSpace part of Lumen doing that. It only does it under dark lighting.

It’s hard to capture it in a screen shot but here’s me trying

Much more noticeable in Realtime.

Sorry If i answer now i’ve been away from hme for 4 months for work reasons,

so correct me if I’m wrong please in this way I won’t lose much time tryingt o figure it out, if I want to light a room using only indirect lighting (for example a light that points to the ceiling or to a wall) lumen is not working right, since it’s partially screen space?
Am i wrong? Should I continue using static light?

Lumen should still light up the scene correctly in that senario.

Essentially, lumen propagates light around a lower-resolution version of your scene, that doesn’t quite match up with what you see in the viewport. The screen-space part of lumen helps to hide this error, and in a lot of cases, it can work pretty well. You can absolutely light up a room using only indirect light, but how you go about it will determine how noisy/blurry/bright it is.

May you please help me lighting up this scene using lumen?
what am i doing wrong?

immagine

I would first advise to to enter lumen.screenprobegather.screentraces and then share a photo of the scene. That command disables screen-space contribution to lumen, so you can see if that is the problem.

I did it and disabling the screen space contribution got me no indirect lighting resulting in even more pitch black scene.
If you have a dark room and put a light towards the ceiling does the light fills the entire room?
In my case if I don’t look directly to the light the screen space contribution is zero and I get pitch black room.

In that case, I suggest doing a lumen scene visualization. Iumen should be propagating light, and if it isn’t, it means your light value might be too dim, or your surface cache coverage is missing the surfaces in question.

quick update, with the new update the error was gone by itself so now I have a properly lit room without having to reimport all the meshes and modify them!!

1 Like