Multiplayer TopDown Kit

Will there be a comprehensive tutorial to implement the inventory system for your topdown asset?

Really interested in this asset, especially combined together.

yes it is. It is now more easier to make mmo game. There is lot of work, but these with modification helps lot. Have to add own items in inventory, but basic is good. Topdown kit I don’t know yet, but it looks great.

Looks very tempting, multiplayer support, merge with inventory system, fair price. Grabbing it on the release date.

I will be releasing the video on how to merge the Action RPG Inventory System into the Multiplayet Topdown Kit before release.
There is already a video on how to merge the Inventory System into your own project but this new video will cover the exact steps on how to merge it specifically into the Multiplayer TopDown Kit.

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to change the controls from point and click to move to WASD? :smiley:

You can do it and if you understand basic blueprinting it won’t be too difficult.
But you will have to replace all the interactions and other mouse logic and re-implement it in your own way.

What interests you in the Kit that you would want for a FPS game? Maybe I can just make a FPS version and save people the hassle of removing and changing core logic.

So - I am also interested in the WASD movement. I really have no need for the Point and click style of movement. I would like to keep the Camera angle and other attributes of this kit.

What makes me interested in this is the multiplayer, the AI system and the ability to use your inventory system with it :D. Also I agree with Headclot about the camera angle and it doesn’t have to be a FPS.

I put this on my to buy list but a third person camera would be nice, can you implement that? :slight_smile:

In that case you might want to implement the features you want to keep from the TopDown Kit into the Inventory System :D.
Just sorta do it backwards and move the TopDownKit’s GameStates, AI and Content into the Inventory System project. You can just leave all the click to move stuff behind and update the Inventory System third person camera view to be the camera angle you want.

So I’d have access to the multi-player by add it to the Inventory system?

If you bring over the content and hook it up into your project it will work.
It might be difficult for someone with no Unreal or Blueprint experience though.

Hello Pirate,

This kit looks really nice and I will likely buy it regardless, but I am hoping you can answer a couple of questions for me first. I am working on a top-down multiplayer project myself.

1. Can you talk about how you are implementing the click-to-move feature? Specifically, are the pawns possessed by the player controllers or are you sending RPCs to an AI controller, or have you implemented a custom movement component?
  2. Tell me more about your fog of war. Are you simply using a light radius (I think that was mentioned somewhere), or is there an actual fog material that you are revealing as you traverse it?

Thanks

Simply put the Player controls a network pawn and sends the commands to the server to move.

The fog of war isn’t an RTS fog. It’s more of a visibility range. You will see the enemies fade in and out when entering and exiting light volumes.
I wanted to include something that was different than the other fog of war implementations available. It is easy to remove this system or you can enhance it to suit your needs if they are different.

With the release tomorrow I have uploaded a tutorial for
merging the Action RPG Inventory System w/ demo content into the Multiplayer TopDown Kit.

Hey. How to login to the system , or the preservation of the characters \ inventory ?

Great so far, I’d love to see a tutorial on how to add/remove certain features mentioned. Such as the removal of the fog of war, or the addition of the WASD movement and the thirdPerson Camera. I just finished merging the inventory and this topdown kit and they work great.

Keep it up (Y)

You need to create a database/save system that handles players and storing and retrieving their inventory.

If you go the database route I would suggest Ufna’s Free Community VaRest Plugin to communicate to your database through a simple php webserver to abstract your database code from the game engine.

I will have a tutorial for completely removing the dynamic light radius fog of war system ASAP.
The WASD movement is a little bit of a lower priority on my huge list of tutorials to make. I feel that the whole value in the TopDown Kit is the Multiplayer supported mouse movement and interactions.

Also please let me know if there are any features you would like to see added in future versions. If people want similar things I will be happy to make improvements and add new features to the Kit.

Awesome. Whilst I was playing around I thought it would be cool if you held down the left mouse button the player would continue to walk in that direction?

Looks great. I purchse this next week and next waiting some package about melee/combat system