Multiplayer Melee Combat

Your game looks great :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a Blueprint-only project. No C++ is used.

Looking forward to getting this.
You mention Basic AI will be implemented? How basic will this be? I have AI already in my game and the non-combat stuff is okay, but once they go into combat the behaviour gets a bit tricky. Will I be able to kinda bolt your AI melee behaviour into my already existing AI?

Cheers,
Daz

The AI provided is only intended for testing porpuses (at least thatā€™s what I am using it for). It just can attack and block. I could add some more AI behavior if there really is an interest for this. However, I would recommend people use their own AI solutions. Making them compatible with the Combat system shouldnā€™t be that much of a hassle.

Little WIP video:

The system can now be purchased here:

Itā€™s has been submitted to Epic and is currently under review. It should be available on the UE4 marketplace in a few weeks.

Because I got asked a few times:

A documentation in PDF format is included in the project.

The project has been accepted by Epic. I am now waiting for a release date. Will let you know as soon as I have one.

This melee combat is great i really love itā€¦ had to grab it early from gum. Got one question, cant figure this outā€¦ Im using execute function so its enabledā€¦ The way my project respawns, I didnā€™t need go to spectator mode so I just removed thatā€¦ Then when you execute or fail to execute in that time frame it spawns the ragdolls and destroys the actorā€¦ Destroying the actor breaks my multiplayer projectā€¦ since that is essentially how you logout in my project. Only change besides disabling spectator was removing the destroy actor with get owner targetsā€¦ then i get have my player go hidden for rag doll death till they teleport to respawn location to go visible.

So now i canā€™t figure out when i execute someone i end up with two bodies one with a head, one without a head and a head rolling of courseā€¦ when fail to execute, it correctly only drops one rag doll. So its mainly with execute.

Any idea why Im getting thisā€¦ Also after I respawn I no longer create ragdolls on deathā€¦

Any Help be greatā€¦ trying to go over every part of corecombat systemā€¦

Thanks

Main change made besides spectator removal
(http://oi66.tinypic.com/25p0a2w.jpg)

and my respawn
http://oi64.tinypic.com/10fuv48.jpg

So weird, you either spawn a rag doll for the execution with head detached or one for missed execution with everything attachedā€¦ why do i end up with two rag dolls on executionā€¦

Hey,
So the way the system works is this: if the player dies, the actor gets destroyed and a ragdoll gets spawned (always the same, doesnā€™t matter if execution is used or not). The difference between execution/no execution is that the bone break is being used (to severe the head).

If you donā€™t want to use the destroy actor function you can disable that and disable the spawns of the ragdoll. You need to disable both, otherwise youā€™ll end up with duplicates. I am currently on mobile only, but I can upload a picture detailing the changes on Monday.

Quick info: the project will be released on December 21st!

Great stuff :slight_smile: thanks againā€¦ for tips changed a multicast and if execute failsā€¦ now im working niceā€¦ Thinking i may need to add your crossbow into this project :stuck_out_tongue:

Any possebility to get a parry feature?
Just bought this for my project, would be nice to know kind of whatā€™s planned for in the future! ^^

Thank you again for this!

There is a enemy targeting feature and you can unlock and lock targets or change between them, no parry but you can sword blockā€¦ Im not sure how to add more than the 2 attack animations yetā€¦

Yeah I saw that and changed my message!
Iā€™m not any wiser, Iā€™ll have a long good look at this now. I look forward to adapt this to my project ^^

EDIT: Something else Iā€™d really like is to tie the actions to a Stamina bar. And perhaps a dodge/dash. Sorry if Iā€™m throwing all of my combat gameplay centric ideas your way at once. Iā€™m just excited is all! Take your time.

What are you looking for in a parry feature? Are you looking for some kind of counter attack? What should be the difference between blocking and parry?

For the next update Iā€™ll add an optional stamina bar and the possibility to add an arbitrary number of attack animations (for the combo system).

EDIT2:NVM I solved it! On the upside I got a lot more knowhow poking around your blueprints! That will come in handy.

EDIT: That sounds awesome! Yes, parry that would open up the enemy for a riposte (set them in a vulnurable state akin to a temporary stun).

After diving in quite deep I was able to retarget both the animations and the animation blueprint along with the notifies etc and make the system almost work with my current testing character. However it would appear as if Iā€™m missing some things, and I canā€™t quite figure out what they are. Just holler and ask for specific information and Iā€™ll get it to you.
Currently neither enemies or the player does any damage to each other. The player can swing the sword. Enemies will just run up to the player character. It worked when I was also a ā€œmannequinā€. Maybe my setup method is flawed somewhere. Here are my errors:

YES awesome

I like the head when cut off to fall little further away from body is that controlled by impulse setting?

Yes, it is. There is an impulse applied when the bone is breaking. You can just set it to a higher value.