Multiplayer: Client Jittery Movement when walks right/left/back

Hello there,

I have Jittery Movment from Client side in my Multiplayergame. The Jittering is only when walking left/right/back. Did someone know how ti fix this?

Hi Integralo

Jittery movement could be caused by a number of factors. The most common reason is that the position of the pawn / character is getting set on both the server AND the client, causing conflicts with the replication system. I.e. the clients was to set(x x x) but the server wants to set (y y y).

Ensure the movement is only being set on the server (authority) and naturally replicate it back to the client.

If this doesn’t solve your issue, please post some screenshots of your logic setup for navigation system and how its triggered.

Thanks

Alex

1 Like

Hi Integralo

Add a “Switch Has Authority” macro in between the Event and function. Hook the “Authority” pin to the function.

Hey Alex, I already tried this, but then the client can’t move anymore

Hi Alex,

thanks for your fast answer. It’s my first time acting with Multiplayer components.

327785-mouse.png

Have you properly configured the replication settings for the actor and the movement component?

Hi Integralo

Sorry, its been a while since I worked with a network applications. You probably need to use server side RPC’s (events). Create an event for each Input and set the replication to be server. Call the “AddMovementInput” functions there.

Here is an example:

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Alex

It loocks like this

Hey Alex, thans for your fast answer. Unfortunately it still don’t work. Host can move arroun but the client can’t move.

Well I testet it with the ThirdPerson testcharacter from the Template. The Jittery Movement when walks right/left/back is only when I set the Caracter to FirstPerson view.

When the yellow marked checkbox is activated the Jittery Movement apperes

When I uncheck it, I have the problen the character doesn’t move with the mouse movement.

327815-character-2.png

I recreated the character and now it works

Hi Integralo,

I have the exact same issue as you. Could you please elaborate on how you fixed it?

For anyone else who comes across this:

I had the exact same issue as Integralo described in the OP. Turns out the fix was MUCH simpler than the major replication problems I was suspecting.

This old forum thread contains the solution: multiplayer, 3rd person and terrible stuttering.

tl;dr: make sure “Orient Rotation to Movement” is turned off in the CharacterMovement settings if you converted the 3rd person template to first person.

1 Like

thank you so much

I fixed my issue by disabling replicate components for the everything except the default root component.

1 Like

i am not using first person but your solution did fix my problem. thx a lot