Multi Box/Sphere Trace For Objects Every Tick Performance

Hi everyone.
I just have one straight forward question: Is it possible to run a “Multi Box/Sphere Trace For Objects” once every tick? I specifically want to dynamically get all the objects in my immidate vicinity and there exact positions.

Does this cut into performance too much or do you guys think it is possible and viable to do so?

Hey there @Maderschaden! So this is dependent on a number of factors, but generally I’d advise against it for more complex games as anything on tick is going to add significant load especially if you’re processing everything that comes through it, but even some of the character components do something similar every tick so it’s not out of the realm of possibility if you have the overhead.

Though if possible, I’d make it contextual in that it’s only actively searching/processing after detecting something once via an overlap that only interacts on the channel for those items. However if it’s a core gameplay element you can likely justify the sphere trace if you will be constantly handling items around you as it’s not that bad unless you’re trying to eek out as much frame time as possible and the size isn’t enormous.