MSAA with Oculus forward renderer

Anyone know how you enable MSAA with Oculus forward renderer?

Anti aliasing really does make a massive difference in VR. Super sampling is best but obviously expensive. MSAA with transparency multi sampling comes close at a more reasonable performance hit. If you haven’t experienced the difference on the DK2 I recommend trying it.

Ya but how do you enable MSAA there are no options to turn it on? Is it like the the forward rendering r.UseClusteredForward 1 that you have to use a console command? If so what is it?

I think you have to get and compile the master from git maybe?
That’s what I did to test it out. (later it should be in the 4.14 preview)

Cheers, Fred

Ya that’s the version I have. Still no option to turn it on though.

Hmm…should just be in the usual place in Project Settings → Rendering

If you hover over there with the mouse you’ll see some tips on further settings…

That’s strange. I thought I had the GitHub version you talked about.
This one? https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/4.12-ofr

These are the only options I see.

The URL you mention there seems to say 4.12 though.

Now I don’t want to give too much advice on anything to do with git as I use it very rarely and my level of understanding is not good at all yet.
But I might have done this in my git shell to get the source, (from my jot notepad)

> git pull https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git master

It might work for you but please don’t get mad if it doesn’t work as I can’t recall the exact details now! :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Oh I see now, you are getting yours from Oculus. I was using the Unreal master. Sorry I haven’t tried the Oculus specific versions.

So does anyone know how Oculus have enabled MSAA with the forward renderer engine?

I managed to enable forward rendering and MSAA with the following console commands:

r.UseClusteredForward 1
r.MobileMSAA 4

I execute these in my level blueprint like so:

d7db90c6da635a3ec9c0844e705c00f6b81dbe48.jpeg

If that doesn’t work for you, let me know!

Not sure if I am doing something wrong here or if the difference isn’t really noticeable but this is how I have it set up in my pawn.

Below is TemporalAA

And below is MSAA

With my eyes I can’t see any difference.

Your entire project looks extra low res, are you setting resolution to 2160x1200? I can’t see how a ScreenPercentage of 200 gets to be that blurry unless you blew up a small crop or aren’t using the correct resolution.

@tcla75

Ok i’m guessing you just cropped (zoomed in) on your test images…

What i would say is that i think it’s normal that you can’t tell the difference between TemporalAA and MSAA when you have such a high level of supersampling on top of it all (r.ScreenPercentage = 200). If you use r.ScreenPercentage = 100 for instance then you will probably notice.

I think TemporalAA and MSAA are only useful if the user can’t afford to run the app at such a high screen percentage (SSAA) to begin with.

Epic themselves suggested 130 SP as a base and and 110 with MSAA in forward rendering during their OC3 talk. But yeah 200 SP will greatly reduce the difference between to images.

Whats the default SP if you don’t use a console command? Is it 100?

No it’s not 100, i believe the default screen percentage is 135 (or at least it used to be), which is the equivalent of using a pixel density of 1 “hmd pd 1.0”.