Moving the character or moving the level?

Hi everybody!!

I´m currently stuck with a problem and I have no idea how to approach it.
I have 4 characters that I want running around on top of a moving surface (think a train wagon), so I thought maybe I could just actually move the surface along a predefined path (think a rail), but I also thought I could move the level around the surface giving the illusion of movent and in doing so, avoid issues with jumping, etc.

Any ideas on how to tackle this one?

Thanks!

I agree that moving a level is a gargantuan pain in the ■■■, but here´s the thing, when I move the surface with the 4 characters on top, as soon as it moves, it gets jittery and when the characters jump, they land on a different spot. I guess maybe because of the speed of the platform.

This is very close to what I have in mind: The LEGO Movie Videogame Walkthrough PART 5 - TRAIN ESCAPE!! (PS4 XBOX ONE WiiU PC Gameplay 1080p) - YouTube
(Wait until 1:20)

I would probably move the characters. Imagine moving a giant level as opposed to moving a smaller character inside the level. A lot more work would go into moving the level and updating it’s collisions.

You can always mimic a player running and block input if that’s what you’re aiming for.