Movie Render Queue - shadow/ reflection problem

Hi,
i have an issue when i try to render with the Movie Render Queue.
the reflection and shadow dosen’t work on the half on my character.

i create an animation on the sequencer for all my robot , it work fine for half of them but icant find the issue.
i try to compare the command variable with Editor / Render Cue but nothing seems to work .

Thank you for your help
Best Regards
Daniel

here the robot dosent’have an shadow (if you look closely you see the robot on the right border have shadow)

But Wok Fine in the editor

1 Like

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution?

Know that this is an old thread but i have a similar problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Same issue here

@dpotuznik Hi, were you able to solve this issue? I am having this issue in 5.3 latest update.

Hi ,

Thank you for your email,

no sorry i have still an issue with this :frowning:

Best Regards
Daniel

Same problem happening, also using UE 5.3.2.

Anyone from Epic can shed some light?

@Halukumben I will try to shed some light. I don’t know exactly what you settings and scene are (or the original post) but I will try to cover most bases that I am familiar with. In UE 5.3.2 I created a simple scene.

I am using the Blank Architecture Template, as this is the one I typically work on. It has Lumen and Virtual Shadow Maps enabled. And most of what I would need to do an Archvis project. Like Project Hillside which was made using this template and has a lot of Instances like in the original post. (I recommend you download it and go over the documentation, its free in the marketplace)

The scene arrays are as follow:

1. Individual Static Mesh Actors
  2. Static Mesh Component
  3. Instanced Static Mesh
  4. Hierarchical Static Mesh

you can see here that the first 2 cull the shadows depending on the camera distance from them. All of these different types of actors/components behave slightly different so you will have to make some tests of you own to decide which work best for your scene. ISM and HISM seem to be the most efficient for most use cases as you can see from this screenshot.

Notice that I am using EPIC scalability. MRQ Renders in Cinematic mode so we should see shadows in all of them when switching to Cinematic, see below.

Here are the Rendered frames with default settings from MRQ, all shadows are there.

HISM shadow

It seems to me you are hitting some sort of limitation with shadows under certain conditions. But why is that happening in your scene might be as simple as using the right type of shadow (VSMs, not available when the original post was made), scalability settings (Cinematic) or ISM v HISM v Static Mesh etc. I would recommend you do a simple test like the one I demonstrate here and see if you still have the same result.

Also feel free to share some more of your scene settings to dig deeper.
Hope this helps!

CC

Hi Carlos,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Although, I think the issue is a bit different. Here’s why;

This is one of the scenes I’m working on. You can see the Editor view on the left side and the MRQ on the right.

The editor scalability is set to automatic, but it shows the same result in Epic, Cinematic ect. All the shadows near and far are visible.

In MRQ, I tried with Game Overrides on and off, which as you know sets the scalability to Cinematic, played around with bunch of setting including VSM, Ray Traced shadows, culling. Result is always the same. The shadows for the static objects are visible, even further away objects and the smaller ones like bollards. Only the shadows for animated objects disappear. As you can see the moving car and AXYZ’s Anima people.

I’m working with Ryzen 9 7950X with RTX4090 with latest drivers. I have bunch of overhead left processing-wise so I doubt this is hardware related.

Also, the shadows are already visible in editor, I’m just triyng to figure out the coorect combinatio of commands to get the same result in MRQ.

Hope this clears things a bit, any further info you need please let me know.

I’ll setup a demo scene like you did, to better understand the shadow limitations.

I found in version 4.27 it was very grainy and had some clipping issues with some materials at certain plane clip ranges, can’t say i have tried it in version 5.3.2 as getting some meshes and textures to work is still a problem with when using assets from other editors, It’s a little like Daz3D’s Iray Render but much quicker, takes some tinkering to set it correctly, it does make a difference on some maps overall quality but at a huge cost on memory when using high poly assets.

@Halukumben if you could set up a small scene I would be happy to take a look. I had a similar issue a while ago when imported a max vray scene using Datasmith. how are you importing the animated objects? give me a bit more information and a small scene say with the road a car and one person…if that works.

A couple of Cvars to try:
r.Shadow.Virtual.UseFarShadowCulling 0 (to see if these meshes shadows are being culled early)
r.Shadow.Virtual.MaxPhysicalPages 8192 (or more depending on your Vram)

Also, Check the “Bounds Scale” of the animated objects, increase it and see if that helps.

CC