Movie Render Queue not utilizing CPU/GPU properly

Hi,
I’m using the movie render queue to render out image sequences and wondering if there is a way to speed up the renders?
The same render takes about the same time (15 minutes) on both my work and home PC.

Work PC specs:
Dual Xenon gold processor 48 thread
128GB ram
RTX A6000 GPU
1 tb Samsung 970 evo SSD

Home PC specs:
Amd Ryzen 9 3900x
32Gb ram
RTX 2070 GPU
1tb Sabrent Rocket Q nvme ssd

I’ve checked the Pc utilisation on my home PC and only a few cores/threads are used, overall CPU usage is 12%, Ram is about 24GB used only, SSD utilisation is only 1/2%, and GPU albeit using all 8GB of Vram, still only utilised to maybe 30% or so.
Temperatures are fine too, 62C on CPU 60C on GPU. I don’t see what the bottleneck is.

Attached a screenshot of my task manager:

Are there any project settings or variables I could tweak? For example with light baking, I can just set the usable core count in Swarm, but I’m not aware of any setting in the movie render queue.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

How fast is it rendering a frame though? If it’s like 1 second a frame then that’s nothing. It can only utilize what resources it needs so however much RAM it’s using is how much it requires, making it use more would not make it faster.
Probably the things that would make it faster would be a more powerful GPU and a faster SSD. The CPU gives commands to the GPU to render so only certain things get improved by the CPU, and only certain things are multi-threaded.

I’m having the same issue. Rendering 1 single asset (5 lights) with Pathtracing, in 1080, 256 samples. I’m at 20 seconds per frame with 58% CPU usage, 12%GPU, 48%RAM