Movie Render Queue Issue - Light artifacts Stripes

Hey all!

I’m currently experienceing a weird bug while trying to render out some frames with Movie Render Queue.
Basically I get these weird vertical light stripes light stripes all over the image (my render format is .exr). I tried several other scenes with various light set ups and types but all get the same result with those vertical lines.
I could try and render it with the movie sequencer, but I wanted to have that high quality AA for a better render.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue?
Thanks!

2 Likes

is it shadow map thing? what happens if you move the lights around?

It’s a cool (although undesirable) effect. But are you using Nanite and Virtual Shadow Maps? If so I ran into a similar issue with my environment and renders. For me it was a limitation in UE5 where the shadows were being rendered against the low-poly proxy mesh and it caused lines similar to yours.

Here is how mine looked, I ended up turning on Ray Traced Shadows and stopped using Nanite for now.

After changing to Ray Traced Shadows and ditching Nanite for now.

@YuuJin Moving the light around doesn’t change the result sadly…
The weird thing is that in the editor’s vieport it looks fine. Also if I render it throught seqeuncer it still looks fine, but ofc I lose the higher quality given by the Render Queue’s Anti Aliasing.
Here’s a pic of how it looks in editor:

@IceDDZ Thanks for sharing your pics. So this is a skeletal mesh so I don’t have the nanite option turned on. I do have virtual Texturing but I’ll check about the virtual shadow maps.
The odd thing is that i look like either a gpu error ( i have a 3080 so it should be beafy enough) but at the same time the main light coming from the right doesn’t seem to create weird artifacts on the white mask and some other areas. As if there was some wierd issue caluclating the reflection on the other parts when multiple lights are hitting a surface - wild guess obviously.

1 Like

Part of what you’re talking about matches my issues as well. In the viewport mine looked great, when doing high resolution screenshots is when the lines would appear. Out of curiosity are you using DirectX 11 or 12 under Project Settings>Platforms>Windows>Targeted RHIs>Default RHI?

I’m using DirectX 12.
Also I’ve noticed that the stripes isue appears only when I try to render out the image at a higher resolution.

When I render it at 1920x1080 it comes out just as in the viewport.
But when I try to render the image at 4k that’s when the issue appears - based on my troubleshoot.

3 Likes

What happens when you change the viewport render resolution to say 200%? I know the performance will tank, but I’m wondering if that also gives you lines.

Just tried it, it still looks ok in the view port.
I tried taking a render of the shot and ironically the effect changed a bit:

UPDATE:

After several tests, rendering the scene in both 1080p as well as 4k, I’m quite confident this is a gpu-engine issue appearing only when using the Movie Render queue. From the looks of it it might have to do with the GPU memory itself.

The part that bugs me is that, having a 3080, I should have enough Vram to render this project even at 4k res with AA.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m cant really understand if you could get to solve this issue, but I’ve got a similar artifact in my scene. Setup is simple, indoor illumination from top open ceiling. Thing is I need to render this scene using Movie Render Queue Plugin and the Image size Im using is 8,244 x 1920 (videomapping project, resolution is not up to me). Everything looks fine when rendering half res, but stripes show up in dark areas (which I need to keep dark) when rendering full res. Ray tracing wont help, Anti-Aliasing wont help either. both skylight and directional light are set movable and have a 6.0 indirect lighting value.

I have built it up from scratch twice but it always gets those annoying stripes. HELP! Project is really urgent and this has me stuck since last week. :frowning:

Images show simplified and complex scene… both get same issue.

I saw that on a recent project, I found I had to reduce the emissive on a material, and a coworker changed the lumen GI to 4 to reduce the stripes at 4k rendering

1 Like

Same result even with lumen GI at 12 :frowning:

coworker dropped it lower to remove it
higher caused more artifacts, if it doesn’t help in your case, you’ll have to debug and find the offending light, by turning off each light one by one, and rendering a few frames to see if it goes away, then you have to fix just the broken lights, or replace them

1 Like

Using High Resolution within the movie render queue settings kind of solve the stripes issue, I get some really weird shading tho

Hey there.
So I didn’t manage to resolve the striped issue in itself. Rendering at 1080p is fine but at 4k that issue starts to happen so I assumed that it was some graphic card issue - which still seems a bit odd to me as I’m currently using a 3080.

The fix that I found was rendering it using the High Resolution render setting just like you.
I didn’t have shading issues tho. I tested this on several render with various types of lighitng and settings. For me it worked really well even being able to render at 6k with super high render speed.

Quick update to the EXACT same issue I’ve encountered. What solved the issue for me (and for the record I was rendering at 8560 x 1920) was enablig High Quality render in the Movie Queue. I also made sure to set the amount of tiles to more than 1 and crank up the offset option so I’d avoid seams with my post effects. Worked like a charm.

2 Likes

Same issue here. Vertical stripes on the image. I’ve tried everything from the suggestions above but nothing worked. It renders fine in 1920x1080. Then I’ve created new settings (the same as previously) and it worked until UE5 crashed. I’ve managed to render desired resolution (4K) for few shots. I saved the config, but after restart it doesn’t work anymore and stripes returned. I’m on 3090, Ryzen 5950x, 64GB of RAM. Any suggestions?

For me lowering the lumen final gather quality in post processing module solved the issue :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes thats help me to - lowering the lumen final gather quality (post process / Lumen / final gather quality)

5 Likes

I was rendering at 8192 pixel horizontally and lowering final gather to 0.5 resolved the weird strips…thanks!