Movie Render Queue crashing every time

Hi there,

Every time I try to run Movie Render Queue even with the most basic settings I’m getting the following errors after the editor crashes:

UnrealEditor_Renderer!FGPUScene::UploadGeneral() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\GPUScene.cpp:916]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FGPUScene::UpdateInternal() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\GPUScene.cpp:680]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FGPUScene::Update() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\GPUScene.cpp:1607]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\DeferredShadingRenderer.cpp:2498]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!RenderViewFamilies_RenderThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneRendering.cpp:4385]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!<lambda_ef66e436fe0af094708bd504a85cce72>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\SceneRendering.cpp:4653]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::87’::FDrawSceneCommandName,<lambda_ef66e436fe0af094708bd504a85cce72> >::DoTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Public\RenderingThread.h:206]
UnrealEditor_Renderer!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamilies'::87’::FDrawSceneCommandName,<lambda_ef66e436fe0af094708bd504a85cce72> > >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1348]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:760]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:649]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:415]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:541]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

Does anyone know what’s going on? It’s very frustrating.

Thank you :grinning:

Hi I had the same issue with the movie render q crashed everytime till i found a solution. Not sure if you awso have the exact same problem but do you have an “gpu crash” error at the end or “out of memory” error when the crash occurs ? If so check my post at the very bottom you can see the solution to it - Movie Render Q working on dx 11 but not on dx 12? (Resolved!) - #4 by catz111

If you dont have the same problem and this dont helps try changing the api from dx 12 to dx 11 or vulkan and try again other than that not sure. What hardware do you have ?

1 Like

Thanks! I have an RTX5000, and it crashes even if I render a 500px x 500px image. I don’t get a GPU/Memory crash error ever—just ones like these.

I read your thread. It’s great commentary. I’m going to try your solution now. I don’t get the white dialog popup box ever, but maybe it still means it’s memory related.

It didn’t seem to work. It sometimes will render after a fresh startup. But if I try for a second time, it crashes.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

UnrealEditor_SlateCore!ArrangeChildrenAlong<0,SBoxPanel::FSlot>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Private\Widgets\SBoxPanel.cpp:222]
UnrealEditor_SlateCore!FWidgetPath::SearchForWidgetRecursively() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Public\Layout\WidgetPath.inl:29]
UnrealEditor_SlateCore!FWidgetPath::SearchForWidgetRecursively() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Public\Layout\WidgetPath.inl:37]
UnrealEditor_SlateCore!FWidgetPath::SearchForWidgetRecursively() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Public\Layout\WidgetPath.inl:37]
UnrealEditor_SlateCore!FWidgetPath::GeneratePathToWidget() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Public\Layout\WidgetPath.h:143]
UnrealEditor_SlateCore!FWidgetPath::ExtendPathTo() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Public\Layout\WidgetPath.h:108]
UnrealEditor_SlateCore!FSlateWindowHelper::FindPathToWidget() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Private\Application\SlateWindowHelper.cpp:166]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::GeneratePathToWidgetUnchecked() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:3040]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::ProcessLocalPlayerSlateOperations() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:4710]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5419]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:202]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:107]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:244]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:282]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [D:\a_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

Sometimes I get this too:

UnrealEditor_Slate!SharedPointerInternals::FSharedReferencer<1>::FSharedReferencer<1>() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\SharedPointerInternals.h:574]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateUser::GetCaptorWidgets() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateUser.cpp:338]
UnrealEditor_Slate!<lambda_a64d7ee75cc0545ac2ce992b1bb5277d>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:1394]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::FinishedInputThisFrame() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:1391]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5351]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:202]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:107]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:244]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:282]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [D:\a_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

So it did work if you manage to render at all right ? I guess you are maxing everything out after fresh restart of unreal? if it renders 1 time then it crashes afterwards i think you may want to lower some settings especially if you have many light sources with big range those make me have the same problem. Other thing you could try is rendering the frames in tiles so you can push beyond the hardware limits of your pc. But in general try lowering some settings and close background programms so chances are it may not crash second time just after the first render. another thing i found out which help me is going under the level or somewhere in between objects so your screen is pitch black and nothing is shown and then click on the movie render and start rendering. Somehow that helped me not to crash after fresh unreal restart lol. But yeah i feel you, i got it as well so lowering settings helped me and tile rendering (which kinda sucks) or that with the hiding in between objects so nothing is on the screen… Thats all i have for now dont know what else you could do. gl

I’m still searching for the answer. I’m pretty confident that it’s not graphics or VRAM related. I still get a crash if I render a 100px by 100px image on the worst settings possible. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the code in my project firing and causing the crash after the MRQ starts rendering. But it’s quite hard to diagnose what from this call stack. Thanks for your help anyways.

I’m still having this error and can’t for the life of me figure it out. I’m attaching my detailed log file and a screenshot of the error.

CH_VR_Experience_UE5.log (216.6 KB)

No idea what this could be. Did you try rendering in tiles maybe? Some people say it helped them with crashing.

I’m attaching the thread here. I figured it out yesterday. For me, it had to do with Project Acoustics. Microsoft has opened the bug for fixing in the next release - Unreal Engine's Movie Render Queue crashing when Source Data Override Plugin is set to Project Acoustics · Issue #160 · microsoft/ProjectAcoustics · GitHub.

Interesting, thx for the update on this…

1 Like

Thank u so much it solved my case it was very frustrating. I appreciate you sharing your solution alot🙏

1 Like

np buddy i wasted as well many hours with non stop crashing till i finally found the fix myself. Im glad it worked for you too. gl :wave: :sunglasses:

1 Like

it worked … for a while. its crashing again. i don’t know why.

You can awso try to switch to dx 11 that seems to run the most stable for me. Not sure else why you start crashing again. Try maybe close some background stuff when rendering…

i need raytracing otherwise i would’ve switched to dx11, so lately it worked but i have to render hd quality then i can render in 4k or it will crash. but during rendering now unreal started to crash without giving crash message. It just closes.