Movement in VR with HTC Vive with UE4

Hello everyone, please tell me, what you think about this:

One controller HTC Vive has a 12 motion sensor , two controllers 24 motion sensor.
Is it possible to do so, that Unreal Engine somehow associate one sensor HTC Vive with 3D model (in game) to the first finger person UE4? The second sensor to the next finger, the eleven sensor to the leg, etc …?

Thus, moving the body - we get a fully interactive dinamyc 3D model of the game, that can go around the game space, to interact with the game world ?

I will ask the question differently:

Perhaps there are two controller HTC Vive attach to the legs and customize UE4, that UE4 tracked the movement of the controllers and link them with the movement of the game character? That (ie) is, UE4 analyzes that the first controller has changed its position, then change the coordinates in UE4 legs game character, and then change the coordinates full of the game character - it’s one step. Similarly, do the second step… etc

All steps are made simple on board the type of run road Kettler (or something homemade) :slight_smile:
Total will get full freedom of movement gaming chatacter in the 3D gaming с world.

I guess what you are asking is if it’s possible to have a fully rigged avatar in VR (similar to movies motion-captured characters) by using several Vive controllers attached to various parts of your body?

I believe that with the default Vive configuration each HMD is limited to only 2 extra trackers that pair with it, but soon you should be able to add extra tracking points by using the new Vive “pucks” that have been just revealed at CES, and using extra USB dongles for the wireless communication.

You will still need to use Inverse-Kinematics (IK) to control your character, but the more trackers you have the better fidelity it will be. I think you could do a pretty good job with only 3 extra trackers, 1 on the hips and 1 on each lower leg. Next step would be probably adding 1 on each forearm.

The main limitation is that these trackers are quite bulky so obviously you can’t add one for each finger like you mentioned, VR gloves would be a better option there.

Thanks for your reply!

You’re a bit do not understand me. I will try again:

I did UE4 in a small area: mountains, rivers, trees.
Now I would like to run on it. But now HTC Vive movement limited by the size of the room, so run this 3D world will not work.

If you run in place spot, then HTC Vive will determine what you stand still and do not move. So now there is a game or application NOT allows to “really” move on virtual reality using the feet for long-distance transportation.

Is it possible to realize in UE4 next? :

Take two controllers HTC Vive - attach them to the legs and run in place - on the treadmill Kettler for example.
Task UE4 track the position of the two controllers, that is: you take a step the right foot with the attached controller, UE4 sees, what controller change coordinates and UE4 changes the position of the game character in the game, you step left foot, UE4 see again that the position of the controller changes, and changes the position of the player character in the game in accordance with the amended provisions controllers.

It is possible realize in UE4 ??

Ah ok sorry didn’t get the part about the treadmill first. Yes i think it’s possible, if you have some sort of platform where you can walk more or less freely then i guess you could potentially translate your real legs/feet movement to an in-game character that moves around the virtual world; however i’m not sure if just 2 trackers would be enough or if you would need more.

One of the key parts would be detecting which foot is touching the treadmill while the platform is moving (sliding movement in real life) in order to “lock” that foot in-game and apply the opposite translation to your VR character.

Thanks again!

Tell me please, if its possible, how or where can in UE4 detected change position controllers and assign on these “change position” -> algorithm BluePrint for action in game?

Sorry, i think it’s possible but that doesn’t mean it would be trivial to implement, and i’m not sure how well it could work in practice. Also there would be a lot of testing involved with the specific motion platform that you have in mind, for instance most omni-directional treadmills will move you back to the center even when you are not moving your body at all.

I would suggest you find someone with a good knowledge of the engine to help you out, or start from the beginning doing tutorials, etc until you feel confident enough to implement it and test it for yourself.

Perhaps someone else can give you a more direct answer… Good luck!

There are several ways to do it:

As you have already been told, none of them is trivial to get right, especially when it comes to limiting VR-sickness.

I fully do not understand what you mean. Very strange message.