Movement causing visual noise: SceneCapture2D used in UMG on Widget Component

An Actor in the map with a Widget Component is setup to show a SceneCapture2D via its assigned widget blueprint.

The scene capture looks fine when stationary, but when the camera moves (via character movement, and by camera/spring arm rotation) visual artifacts appear over the entire “screen” (i.e. just the Widget Component), with more movement seeming to lead to a higher density of artifacts on the Widget Component.

The Render Target texture (on the right, below) always looks fine, regardless of the issues I see in the world viewport whilst moving the camera.

Any suggestions on what I might have messed up would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

I just noticed that the blurring isn’t occurring in the Widget Blueprint either.

It seems to be exclusively on the Widget Component.

Is there any likely setting in the Widget Component that might be causing the discrepancy?

I had hoped it was because I had scaled the widget component, but having set the transform scale back to 1, the issue persists.

You can see the scene capture looking fine in the widget blueprint designer window (16 seconds into the video below).

I gave in, and decided to just use a plane with a surface material (using the scene capture texture) applied to it instead.

The issue occurs in that instance too, so presumably is nothing to do with UMG, and instead an issue with 5.1 or my settings in it?

Has anyone seen this issue for any scene capture 2D to materials in their projects?

Thanks to a wonderful person on reddit, the temporary solution has been found:

Changing Anti-Aliasing Method of Temporal Super-Aliasing to TAA or FXAA works around the problem.

Hopefully I can find out how to fix it with TSA enabled, but for now I’m at least unblocked to work on this without weird visual issues.

1 Like