Movable Lights limits? Oculus quest 2 / Unreal Engine

Hi guys, sorry for the long text but I feel that it’s easier if you know my background or the lack of it. I’m a neuropsychologist trying to build alone a ‘simple’ home to test a possible intervention in VR for patients with traumatic brain injury. I recently got the Oculus Quest 2 because the wireless feature it’s the best to use in a hospital setting. I have zero formation in computer science or programming knowledge. However, I learned a lot with all the available tutorials online about the UE blueprint system and I managed to do almost everything that I want.

What I’m trying to achieve:

• I have 4 square rooms (kitchen/dining/bedroom and a living room) and each one of them has ONE movable light (Points light) linked to a light switch that can be turned on/off.
  • I did this so the patient has to work with some type of energy cost, each room has a different cost being turned on (ex living room cost 1 per second, while the kitchen cost is 2).
  • In the session, the patient has to do some daily living activities to earn money and ‘pay’ the energy cost at the end of the sessions.

My questions:

• Is it the limit, described in the UE4 documentation for mobile, is it the same for oculus quest 2? A total of 4 movable lights in the whole level?

• Or you can’t have more than 4 movable lights touching? For example, Can I have 2 lights per room?
    Is it better to have two movable lights with a smaller attenuation radius (ex. two with 750) or one movable light with a larger attenuation radius (ex. 1500)

• Is the number of draw calls linked to how many movable lights you have at the time? I posted below the current triangle counts and draw calls that I get in my scene. How can I optimize the number of draw calls, since I can see that I’m way over the limit (170-175?) for the Oculus Quest described in the Oculus Documentation?

• I see that I have room for more objects in my scene since the described is 750k to 1kk, Is the number of triangles and draw calls limit higher for Quest 2?

My problems:

• The game automatically closes when I
    try loading the level I created
    inside Quest 2. No errors givens, the
    HMD simply returns to the home screen
    one to two seconds after loading the
    level and showing the objects on the
    screen.

• I can run the game with no problem when I’m using the usb3 cable linked to my computer using UE VRPreview.
    This got me thinking that maybe I’m running out of memory or something and what I’m doing is “too much” for quest 2 to handle?
    The initial level that I use to load the main level runs fine inside Quest 2. I’m using the “MotionControllerMap” created by the unreal engine.

Triangle Counts: imgur.com/Dy0gxon
Draw Calls: imgur.com/cpIWTBc

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate any help.

As I can see, your draw calls are too big. I have experienced this too (the game plays good via usb, but inside oculus just dont start). Try the following:
combine some meshes. Avoid many meshes with low triangles. Try something medium (a few meshes with medium number of triangles)
Textures up to a maxium of 2k (to test, use even 1k or less)

Dont put blueprint script on the level Blueprint. I think when the game starts, its good to have other things going to execute later (instead of executing everything at startup)

As the light, I am trying myself to discover how to turn on and off light. I read that movable lights are to expensive. Stationary light can be toggle on and off (intensity)… but I am still trying to make it work on the oculus (it works great on the editor)

I am not a programmer and what I said is based on my little experience. Hope it helps
And always save your folder project when something works on the quest… backup always!

1 Like

has anyone figured out the solution to this turning the light on/off problem?