MotionControllerComponent strange behavior during Pawn movement (SteamVR)

I’ve noticed that while my pawn is moving, the MotionController components I’m using in said pawn exhibit strange behavior. I don’t know if it’s strictly lag: the meshes attached to the components are moving to strange locations when I’m mostly just rotating my wrist.

I’ve attached an example project. Try extending your arms and twisting your wrist, then pull the trigger to activate pawn motion and try the same thing.

I’ve noticed that this issue goes away when I set “Disable Low Latency Update” to true, though that’s obviously not ideal. In my example you can toggle this for both components by pressing the thumbpad.

I’ve only tried this in SteamVR, not OVR.

Hello Tain,

I ran a few tests on the project provided. However, I did not notice anything apparent while testing. Could you provide more detail on what exactly it is that you are experiencing and what I should be looking for in the project provided?

I think that a video will best explain things, so I just uploaded this: MotionControllerComponent Delay - YouTube

I’ll try to write it out, though. Try these steps:

1. Open the example project I uploaded, Play in VR.
  2. Pull up the SteamVR overlay and look away.
  3. Confirm that the spheres attached to the MotionControllerComponents match the controllers in SteamVR’s overlay.
  4. Exit the SteamVR overlay.
  5. Pull either trigger to activate Pawn movement
  6. Pull up the SteamVR overlay again and look away.
  7. Extend your arms, pointing the controllers away from you, and twist your wrist. Note that the sphere’s positions aren’t lining up with the SteamVR overlay’s controllers.

Again, this seems to not be an issue with Disable Low Latency Update set to true. And while I suggest using the SteamVR overlay for positional comparison, it obviously doesn’t matter if it’s up or not.

After further testing and reading over the information provided. I was able to spot the issue that you are experiencing. I have written up a report and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I have also provided a link to the public tracker. Please feel free to use the link provided for future updates.

Link: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-40379)

Make it a great day