More overridden materials on static mesh component than are referenced

I have a static mesh spaceship and a blueprint that controls the behavior of the ship. When I build the lighting the map check gives me warnings saying

More overridden materials (6) on static mesh component than are referenced in (4) in source mesh

In the source mesh there are 4 material slots (only need to really assign the main one) and 4 show up in the blueprint but I get these warnings no matter whether I assign the materials in the source mesh or the blueprint. Any advice?

Also, should I be instancing the materials? Is there an advantage to this? In the game there are about 20 versions of the blueprint flying around so I don’t know if instancing will help with reducing calls. Regards,

Mike

If you import a mesh object with 6 material ID’s then it’s set as to having 6 materials assigned to it. If you edit the object and lower the number of materials and ID’s to 4 and “re-import” the object your original object is still looking for 6 materials but only 4 are now referenced by the object.

To clear the error delete the original instance and import the edited version and and it will now only reference the 4 assigned materials.

3 Likes