Modular SciFi Series - Engineer Hallways Vol. 2 Released!

Looking forward to more structures and all the stuff you mentioned. I also agree that having a pressure control room/segment is needed and basically all that was discussed. I’ve been planning a surface mission for my game and this already is a huge addition. Will also be waiting patiently (Maybe a little less so :stuck_out_tongue: ) for new updates and stuffs. :wink: Keep up the awesome work, oh, and to illustrate how versatile your stuff actually is (once again), I’ll shamelessly show off another area of my game mainly using your Modular SciFi Command Center pack.

If I haven’t made it clear by now, anyone who’s into making a SciFi game, 's packs are perfect!

I will be working to ensure 4.21 compatibility for all products. Stay tuned!

@Joure Thanks for sharing, I love seeing how the packs are used and you never disappoint. Keep up the great work on StarDrop! =)

All products are marked for 4.21 compatibility!

Hey ,

Anything new coming through the pipeline?

Hey Slavical!

Yes, I still have things planned to come. Having put out about 4 products this year I figured it’d be best to space things out a bit more rather than having things released too closely. The next product will be in 2019. In the meantime I’m also working on something that hasn’t been announced yet. =)

Is there anything in particular you’re looking for next?

Sci Fi Apartments or interior stuff

Hey JoJo!

That’s one of the most commonly requested packs, it’s definitely on my list. =)

The Polaris Collection and Majestic Fantasy are all on sale now through February 1st! Take advantage now!

Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve offered an update on my Marketplace Collection and I’d like to give you an explanation of what’s been going on.
For the past 4 years I’ve dedicated my full time to putting out high quality, customizable assets. My goal has been to provide an ever-expanding collection of interconnected assets so that indie developers could create games with AAA quality environmental visuals at an affordable rate, all while distinguishing their assets from fellow developers who utilize the same products. Throughout this time, I have been overwhelmed by and grateful for the incredible support from the UE4 community and their reception of my products.
In order to accomplish my goal, I had to work full-time on the marketplace to not only produce quality content in a timely manner, but provide a customer service experience I myself would enjoy as a buyer. Very few sellers have the privilege of being able to work on their content full-time and so I am very grateful for the ability to do so.

Last year I published a record number of products, releasing the Season 2 Discount Bundle and 3 new major environmental/prop packs – two of which belong to the new Polaris Collection. Originally, I had big plans for these collections. These include: additional products for the Majestic Fantasy Collection, finishing the Engineer Collection with a large exterior-focused pack, and continuing work on the Polaris Collection which would see content like space ships, modular stations, vehicles and more added to flesh out off-world environments.

As a content developer, workload increases exponentially with each subsequent release. This is especially so for a one-person team. I met this challenge with each release, seeking new ways to improve on customer service and also increase efficiency of development without compromising quality. However, as the marketplace continues to grow, there are factors to success that are beyond the control of a seller. Marketing and discovery are two of the greatest. As more content is added to the UE4 storefront, it becomes difficult to stand out in a sea of products. And while within the last two weeks we have had a bit of an overhaul to the way the store works, for the last 4 years we’ve had to struggle with a rapidly growing marketplace with little to no ability to distinguish ourselves from one another, or utilize basic ecommerce features. Many other storefronts offer the ability to communicate with buyers who opt in, allowing sellers to develop a rapport with their buying community – bouncing back feedback on how to create and deliver better products and services while also providing info on new products, unique discounts for loyal customers, and things that make the customer service experience better as a whole. It is critical to the success of any business, especially online, as communication is key for both parties in ensuring the best content and experience are delivered. Analytics is an additional key factor, something we’ve been without since the inception of the UE4 Marketplace and have been awaiting for nearly 5 years.

These are just a few of many examples as to why I’ve come to this decision. Over the past year I’ve seen many sellers, including a few friends who were top sellers on the Marketplace, give up on developing new content due to the struggles of working on the platform. Selling content is hard enough when you look at factors such as does your content look good, is it useful, customer interest, etc. It becomes increasingly worse when you’re operating in 2019 without storefront features that were commonplace a decade ago. I’ve tried to continue with the hope that things would get better, especially in light of promises that were made but sadly never came to fruition. Eventually when the amount of work far outweighs the return on investment you have to decide whether it’s worth continuing. As someone who’s primary and sole source of income has been the UE4 marketplace for the past 4 years, looking at the downward trend that not only I but even fellow sellers have been grappling with, I have to determine what’s best for my financial situation going forward. As a full-time content creator, the long-term viability of the UE4 Marketplace just doesn’t seem to be there anymore.
I would love nothing more than to finish the work I started 4 years ago. I had big plans for the asset collections, as well as diving into different genres and categories. However, due to the current state of the UE4 marketplace and how things have rather sharply turned around over the last year I cannot do so without compromising my ability to earn a basic living. What’s ironic is that this significant downward spiral started right after Epic’s 88/12 royalty change.

So where does that leave us? I will continue to support the existing products on the marketplace, and deliver the same quality customer service I have prided myself on for the last 4 years. However, while I still have a desire to finish working on the various asset collections, I will be taking a hiatus from development until the storefront modernizes to the point where the lack of basic ecommerce features isn’t a major negative to the ability of sellers to reach their fullest potential.
I have not come to this decision lightly. Over the last 4 years I have devoted my undivided attention to building up my products and creating a positive relationship with my customers. I am hoping that the UE4 marketplace receives the attention it needs to become the best storefront for sellers and buyers alike. Until then I have decided to pursue another path. I’ll always be available here, by email or anywhere you can find me to chat. I will continue to monitor the progress of the marketplace. Thank you all for your continued support. If you would like to find out more about what I’m doing next, check out my recent announcement.

I’m really gonna miss your beautiful work on the marketplace & drooling over your work in progress screens as I anticipate the release of new products, maybe until the marketplace is more modern, you could sell on maybe Gumroad or Cubebrush??

I appreciate that JoJo! I tried Gumroad for a while, but unfortunately it wasn’t a viable alternative due to the low exposure and lack of consumer trust on an external platform.

So I just recently got back into game dev and brushed off the dust on your old packs (I own all of them), and it revitalized my love for your assets.

So to spread the game dev encouragement, I’ll post some videos of what I’ve been working on and showcasing your assets by the end of the week (need to make some AI). And who knows, maybe you’ll be encouraged to come back :stuck_out_tongue:

We we miss you and your amazing sci-fi work. We definitely would like more :slight_smile:

Hey Slavical, welcome back!

I’d love to see that, send me a link or feel free to post them here. I do miss working on classical sci-fi environments haha. Thank you very much for your kind words though! Who knows what the future holds. =P

Awesome! I’ll try to have a quick video up by the end of the week, and sometime after that I’ll make an official vlog. The vlogs will be my encouragement to keep going.

Also, something that I noticed…your stairs and hallway brace meshes (three meshes in total) for polaris use complex collision as simple. The issue here is that when I use a line trace to get the surface type of that mesh, it is always going to return NULL because the line trace looks for simple collision. I have tested using a complex line trace, which looks for complex collisions, but that didn’t work. I believe I can get around it by setting every mesh to complex collision as simple and set the surface type in the material, but I don’t like doing that because, in theory, two meshes can use the same material but have different surface types; so I like to set the surface type within the mesh instead. Also, complex line tracing is more taxing than simple line tracing.

How hard would it be to fix the collisions of these three meshes in blender? Since you’re not developing anymore, I would feel bad asking you to make those changes, so I am willing to do it myself if needed.

Hey Slavical!

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing it. =)

I’ve had to use complex as simple on occasion due to a bug with collision in 4.16 and 4.17 where it doesn’t always work properly. There was no clear indication of why, and often times it would be random. (i.e. it’d work fine at first, then upon reimport if I modified the actual mesh it would stop working. Then even updating collision from the ground up wouldn’t reflect changes in engine.) The creation of the collision isn’t difficult at all, and if I’m not mistaken upon export you should have the original simple collision exported alongside it. The tricky thing is whether UE4 bugs it upon import. I haven’t experienced this issue in a project I’m working on in 4.20 but back when I was working on UE4 products one thing I always heard/read from customers was they wanted as early a supported version as possible which is why I stuck with 4.16 as my usual base version.

But to answer your question it shouldn’t be difficult. Oddly enough I believe I’ve had that bug happen to the stairs in Command Center too, and had to ultimately use Complex as Simple in there as well.

Shoot me a PM if the original collision doesn’t export with the asset when you try to export it BTW.

I am pleased to announce that both the Season 1 & 2 Starter Bundles are now a part of Epic’s Permanent Marketplace Collection!

Check them out - Season 1 & Season 2

If you like them, be sure to see what else I have available as part of the Modular SciFi Collection!

Sounds like Epic is trying to bring you back so you can finish Polaris! :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, idk about that. Maybe someday though. I never like to write things off entirely. =P

Hey everyone!

It’s been a while since I last posted here as can be seen above. Almost a 2 year break from the marketplace actually. I am happy to announce I have returned to continue work on my asset collection!

While I have still been hard at work on my game Simulacrum, I have been able to carve out time to devote towards completing the work I began years ago.

To start off, I will be revisiting the Engineer Collection. Currently consisting of 3 products that you can acquire for free as part of the Epic Marketplace Sponsorship, going forward I will be providing a whole host of assets of distinguishing varieties to fully flesh out the collection and allow users to be able to construct complex and highly detailed environments with the level of customization these assets have become known for.

I am really excited to get back to work on these, and can’t wait to share all of the designs and packs in store. To start off here are a few concept blockouts for one of the upcoming packs.

Some of the new things coming in this pack are new doorways, double doors, and more architectural assets to help you create larger hallways and rooms. As always these are designed to work with other packs within the collection. If you haven’t already, be sure to pickup the first 3 products in the Engineer Collection for free!

Keep a close eye on this thread and on twitter as I will be sharing work in progress images throughout development as always. =)

And as always, if you have something you’d like to see within a particular collection feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

YAAAASSSS!! I am so glad that you’re back! I was hoping you’d start on Polaris, but I’ll that Engineer. Anything from you is better than nothing.

Can’t wait to see the finished product.

1 Like