Welcome to the Modular Menu System
The Modular Menu System (MMS) for UE4 allows you to build UMG-based menus by using Blueprint nodes only. You don’t need to layout your menus manually in the UMG editor. Instead, you add menu elements via simple BP nodes. This allows you to build your menus in minutes, instead of hours.
A video says more than 1000 words, so without further ado …
Currently the MMS supports the following standard menu elements:
- Combo Boxes
- Text Lines
- Text Input
- Text Scroll Boxes
- Generic Scroll Boxes
- Custom Widgets
For buttons, checkboxes and combo boxes sound effects (clicking, hovering, etc.) are supported as well.
The basic workflow with the MMS is as follows: You create an (empty) menu object, add all the elements to it that you like, and finally show the menu to the user (viewport). No need to to touch the UMG editor at all, everything is done via BP nodes. That includes the size and padding values of the menu itself, laying out the menu elements in one or more columns, including their padding, spacing and alignment values, and similar.
The MMS also ships with a built-in event system, so that clicks on buttons, changes of combo box selections and alike all fire custom events, which the developer can respond to in a custom event handler. Alternatively one can also get and set the state of all menu elements at any time.
Last but not least we also support themes and custom colors for our menu system. The MMS includes some ready-made themes (see screenshots). The user can use those themes, change their colors dynamically, or create new themes from scratch.
Note that as of now the MMS has been developed and tested on Windows, but we see no reason why it should not work at least on Mac and Linux too. It should run fine on mobile platforms as well.
Resources and Support
You can purchase the Modular Menu System at the UE4 Marketplace.
A short tutorial as well as a detailed handbook can be downloaded here.
if you have purchased the Modular Menu System please feel free to ask for support in this forum thread, or [EMAIL=“email@example.com”]directly via email.
For everything else: Feel free to leave your comments, ideas, feedback or just greetings here in this thread
Version 1.5 / 2017-02-24
- New optional blurry menu background / viewport overlay
- Updated the Modular Menu System for UE4.15 compatibility
Version 1.4.1 / 2016-09-02
- Updated the Modular Menu System for UE4.13 compatibility
Version 1.4 / 2016-08-16
- Every Add… BP node will now return a reference to the newly created menu element (e.g. a button)
- Auto-save dialog/menu object into event handler at menu construction
Version 1.3 / 2016-04-05
- New BP node SetTextLine to set the text of a text element after adding it to a menu
- Allow to override theme line height per button via new parameter for AddButton[s] BP nodes
- Added ID parameter for Messages Boxes, so that you can identify pressed dialog buttons by that ID
- Added parameter to vertically align a custom widget when adding it to a menu
- Fixed bug: Now you can add custom widgets correctly to a menu
- Fixed bug: Items can be selected again in text scoll boxes (after update to UE 4.11)
Version 1.2 / 2016-03-17
- Updated for UE 4.11
Version 1.1 / 2016-03-11
- Added new node “SetThemeSounds” (for Buttons, Checkbox, Combo Boxes)
- Added short delay at BeginPlay in sample project for correct viewport size calculation in standalone mode
- Fixed Bug: Menu did not remember size after hiding and showing again
Version 1.0 / 2016-03-02
- First Public Release