Modular Cliffs

Hi, i got this asset. Im loving it, i would just like to know how to get the terrain material to work without flickering on a basic terrain. PM me if you could give any advice, id appreciate it.

Hi, thank you! Sure, I will investigate. I haven’t encountered a problem like this before, so I will need some screenshots and steps to reproduce. Sent you a PM.

Edit: Actually the message did not get sent, it says your PMs are not enabled… We can do it over email, poke me here: ales.cgmontreal@gmail.com

Edit 2: I did some testing, I created a new map and added new terrain, then I applied my terrain material to it and painted around. I tried it in 4.12 and 4.15 but wasn’t able to reproduce any flickering. We will need to look at your case and figure it out.

Edit 3 (sorry :slight_smile: ): Did some digging around and I think you are referring to this flickering issue when the terrain is flat on 0 height and is using tessellation.

There is an easy fix for it. Select your Landscape in world outliner and in details pannel scroll down to Landscape section. Change Negative ZBounds Extension to something like -100 and Positive ZBounds Extension to -1. It should fix the problem instantly.

Yes, I know, I’m still planning to do a video about that :wink: Will keep you posted!

Thank you!

Wow! These looks amazing!

Thanks man :wink:

Update - an interview about the process of making the assets and the scene is now live here:
https://80.lv/articles/modular-photogrammetry-in-environment-design/

Yep thanks for this, very cool infos :wink:

Thanks for the aticle and for this awesome asset, I love the Istrian coast…

Looks amazing! Please make a video showing the modularity for those of us interested :slight_smile:

Thank you, guys, I hope it’s helpful :wink:

Thanks! Yes, it’s still on my to-do list, but I need to finish the update first… Soon :wink:

I bought the assets but the water and the landscape material isn’t showing up properlly :frowning:
any ideas ?

Are you using forward renderer? Epic’s water blueprint is not supported in FWR. Landscape materials are limited to 2 layers per tile, so you can make it work by only applying two layers in each landscape tile. I tried it, it can be done with a bit of planning.

I will actually look into making this whole scene forward renderer compatible, in a separate level… But it probably won’t make it into the upcoming update.

that was it thanks :slight_smile: yes FWR would be nice since I am mainly doing VR stuff, hopefully in the next next update :wink:

Hi, I have just bought this asset, I see that the detail of the meshes is too low, specially when you are near of a mesh. I could assume it is about optimization, but it was a little shock for me because I expected more quality, so I would like you to give a little words about this fact so I can understand it. Thank you.

Hi there,
Are you talking about the polygon count? Would you like to have higher density meshes? I can add a higher poly version of each mesh in the next update, just let me know if this is what you need. Or send me an email to ales.cgmontreal(at)gmail.com to discuss your needs.

There are also some changes coming in the update that I’m working on: I painted some additional detail to the albedo texture of the biggest cliff to make it look higher res. Another thing that I’m adding is the ability to vertex paint wetness on cliffs and rocks. More details coming soon.

Hi RaaYaar, I’m sorry, I am especially talking about texture detail / definition. It seems too low at short distances considering the size of each mesh. I hope you can solve this issue, I must say that beside that fact, the quality, beauty and versatility of this asset is awesome.

Thank you! As for the texture resolution from up close, you’ll be happy to hear that I am testing another version of cliff master material that addresses this issue specifically. The detail material will be more pronounced than the one in the current cliff material. I will be including this version into the upcoming update which I will probably submit tomorrow, so it should be live soon. I will keep you posted!

It’s great to hear that, thank you!

Update 1.1 has been submitted, it should go live shortly. Will post again when it’s live.

What’s new:

f59781d68e06992fdce31356402954d3c6f7c1b1.jpeg

• Added a new master material for cliffs and rocks which has a much more pronounced tileable overlay detail layer. It fades with the distance from the object so it doesn’t affect the looks of the object from afar. Many parameters like fade distance, opacity, normal intensity and others are exposed in material instances and tweakable.

• Removed the cross hair from the UI when playing the demo map.

• Painted some additional detail into the biggest cliff’s base albedo texture to take better advantage of the texture size.

I hope you will find it useful. Will let you know when the update goes live!