Modifications to Child Blueprint actors not saving? 4.7

The changes I make to a child actor component node settings are not saving and I dont know why. When I load a new map, they are set back to “None” as you can see in the screenshot. This is true for all child actor components in my game. Is this problem only hapenning to me or is this a known issue? Thank you!

I should also note that a reason why this might be hapenning is because I transfered the content folder of an old project (4.6) into a 4.7 project. But still, I should still be able to properly save my child actor blueprints.

Hello timetravel,

I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Are you using 4.7.3?
  2. If not, does the issue still occurs after upgrading to 4.7.3?
  3. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  4. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?

I’m upgrading to 4.7.3 as I type this, if it fixes the issue I will just mark this question as resolved, otherwise I will try to replicate the issue and then report back with details here!

I tried creating a new 4.7.3 third person shooter project and copying my Content folder into it and the same bug happens. This is what the Child Actor Class field shows when I first open the Blueprint:

When I open a different Map, the fields are set to “None”.

Another thing I noticed is that things such as deleting a folder (even an empty one) does not remain deleted when I re-open the project. Other changes such as adding or deleting a blueprint does work and get saved properly.

Hello timetravel,

I see that you said you can reproduce this issue with your current assets. However, I need to know if you can reproduce this issue with all new content in a clean project. If you can achieve this I would like for you to provide a detailed list of the steps that were used.

Hey ,

I was unable to reproduce the bug with a clean 4.7.3 project and new content that uses child actor blueprints. I am really not sure what the issue is :frowning:

Ugh this is SO strange. I just noticed that some of the same changes that used to save correctly have DISSAPEARED. I think I will just try to copy what assets aren’t bugged over to a new project and just give up on fixing this one.

I’m not really frustrated since it’s not too difficult to transfer over to a different project! But I’m really curious to see what’s going on so I’ll put it up on Dropbox and send you a link. :slight_smile:

Hello timetravel,

I understand your frustration. If you would like to continue with this issue, you could zip up your project and send it to me via dropbox or google drive and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Here’s the project. I noticed the problem seem to have to do with the CharacterSystem and Animation blueprints.

Hello timetravel,

Now that I have your project for testing, could you provide an example of a way to replicate this issue on your project?

If you go to the BP_BaseCharacter blueprint construction script and try to change the Child Actor Class of this node:

To Spell_System, and then save the project, leave the editor and re-open the project, the Child Actor Class will be set to either “None” or this strange PLACEHOLDER-CLASS value. This is also true for all Child Actor Class blueprints. The changes don’t stay even after you save.

Hello timetravel,

After looking over your project and considering the information provided in the rest of the posts I have determined that this is a known issue (UE-9824) and this issue has been already been sent to the developers for further consideration and is still under review. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

This is still occurring in 4.7.6.

I have a base GameNameCharacter blueprint class that is a child of the Character C++ class. I’ve also made a child of my GameNameCharacter class, GameNameCharacter_AI, and then about 5-6 child blueprints from that one, like GameNameCharacter_AI_UniqueEnemy01, GameNameCharacter_AI_UniqueEnemy02 and so on.

In my case it’s their skeletal mesh component that loses all the default variables in the transform category that I’ve set up. So they are no longer rotated 270 degrees in yaw, scaled down to fit the environment or offset in Z so that their pivot aligns with the bottom of the collision/movement capsule.

It’s extremely frustrating as it removes any purpose to create a blueprint class hierarchy and removes any hope to be clever with removing redundant scripting through inheritance. It’s super disheartening to find out that a baseline piece of functionality that is associated with programming just doesn’t work in blueprints.

, is there a confirmed version to have this fix in?

Hello ,

After reading over you post, I believe that this is a separate known issue (UE-6447). Could you try going into your child blueprint and clicking the yellow arrow that indicates setting your values to default and see if this updates your transform values within your class defaults?

Make it a great day

Hey ,

I did try that last night. At first the child blueprints values are set to 0 and the yellow reset arrow does not appear, but upon changing the value to anything other than 0, I was able to hit the yellow reset button and it did indeed reset to the parent’s value. But the main issue still occurred, whenever I saved, closed the editor and opened it again it would reset the values in the child back to 0. I hope this helps narrow down the issue.

For anyone with a similar issue, a hacky work around I’m using is to manually set any values I was changing in the component on the event Begin Play. Image attached. Thank goodness normal variables aren’t being reset :smiley:

Hello ,

Thank you for our additional information regarding this issue as well as for the workaround that you provided. I will be sure to bump the community interest for the related report.

Make it a great day

Hey ,

This just happened to me again in 4.8 in a new project. Is there a way the public can look up the issue you mentioned to check it’s status? UE-6447.

Hello ,

To answer your question about public tracking, no this is a reference to our internal system used to track issues. However, you can contact a member of the team to request information on an issue. Providing this number to our community members allows us to insure that we are looking in to the exact issue that the inquirer in referring to. As an update to the issue mentioned. This issue has not been updated to fixed as of this time. I hope that this information helps.

Make it a great day