MOBA Minion/Creep AI p.1: The Basics - May 3rd

WHAT

In this Live Training Stream, and will be talking about what we’ll need to create MOBA Minion AI. In part one: we’ll start with an overview of observed behaviors, then create a new project, and finally move into creating and connecting up the necessary assets we need.

This is a start of new format where we’ll dig into and replicate game genre AI. We’re trying to decide on what type of AI we should do after the Minion AI, if you have any suggestions, let us know!

WHEN
Tuesday, May 3rd @ 2:00PM-3:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE

WHO

• Sr Training Content Creator
  • Community Manager ]()

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Finished Project: Download here

Archive:

Is this somehow related to Paragon’s minions ?

I’d like a follow player pied piper style situation,
where you feed them they follow,
if not attention span fades,
but if-when fully slaved up, be able to order attack on a target…

a.k.a. BloodyBobby

Future AI suggestion: Zombie AI from COD: World at War or Drones that actively dodge and avoid each other (Space Pirate Trainer/ Geometry Wars). If these tutorials already exist, I’d appreciate if someone could link the tuts.

What about Paragon Minions AI ? It would be the best example game usage and best practices.

There is one flying AI project

Suggestion: AI from the classic Battlefield games (e.g. 1942, Vietnam, 2 and 2142).

Question: Can’t the waypoint system be like a “linked list” where a waypoint has a reference to the next one (maybe to the previous one too) instead of using “waypoint numbers”?
This would be way more intuitive and simple to do. In my opinion, at least.

Thanks for doing this live stream. I’m really excited about the MOBA AI. As for suggestions, I would love to see this AI made as efficient and game ready as possible. It would be cool if they could use a few rudimentary abilities as well. The type of thing that is seen in jungle creeps. Additionally, I would be interested to see an implemented fog of war system. I know there are a few options in the marketplace, but I would be interested in something that would help with performance as well. Thanks again guys!

I was following along and ended up getting a lot of errors and noticed that the beginning of the game mode build minion path has a for each loop that references the waypoint counts array that was just cleared in the previous step. Inside of the loop it’s doing a GET on a LANE from the array, which only seems to get 0’s because the array was just cleared… Edit: Is this a bug? the ++ isn’t incrementing from 0, it starts at 0 and increments to 0

Here’s an example

This is the one from the video and it doesn’t work, only puts out 0’s

http://www.simpleblack.com/UE4/noInc.JPG

This is effectively the same thing, but it (seems to) works

http://www.simpleblack.com/UE4/incWorks.JPG

I think the Lane arrays need to be sized to fit as well, it throws an error if that’s not set

http://www.simpleblack.com/UE4/resizeArray.JPG

Final project added!

[MENTION=8] [/MENTION] I finished head to toe the 3 vids tutorial. however I haven’t found a way to make the minions attack, during the video three you guys mentioned y’all would come back to that, Im wondering if there’s any other tutorial that makes them fight between each other and the prioritization. Thank you.

Please HELP ME! See 54:57 this video. When i do Waypoint Counts, i have 2 get function: Get (a copy) and Get (a ref)? but in video he has 1 get. What can I do?