MMO Starter Kit

Curious about this as well. :smiley:

can you test it for projectil shooter game how would it performe cuz wow stlye is low req and when shooting starts and ther are like zilion bulets flying

Hey ,
It was me who visit your demo server with Blackmambas :slight_smile: Looks like you are open for MMO engine suggestions . Iā€™m using Badumna over a year now it comes with Unity and C++ step by step samples and is now open source , meaning unlimited CCUā€™s per server. If you know how to compile the c++ files here is the link to github https://bitbucket.org/badumna/badumna/overview
And I donā€™t know what kind of server /'s you are using for your hosting but I have mine hosted with server4you.com good performance / unlimited traffic / and very cheap. Hope maybe it helps.

Inventory and loot

Hi. Iā€™ve been busy adding the inventory and loot system. I planned to add it after the release originally but a lot of people were asking for this feature (and it was fun to make :)). So here it is:

Inventory and loot:

• characters and NPCs can be looted. They have a drop table with items and chance of drop
  • stackable items
  • mouseover on an item brings a popup with item name and description
  • draggable inventory and container windows
  • items can be destroyed by dragging them to the scenery. This brings up a popup asking if you want to destroy an item.
  • pickup/place sounds that can be unique per item

Other changes:

• improved clicking on dead characters: it now uses mesh for tracing instead of capsule which allows for precise trace
  • a AddLineBreak blueprint node is added to easily add line breaks to strings

Demo server changes:

• Bandits can now drop loot!
  • increased mav mesh so that bandits will chase you longer and wonā€™t get stuck in nearby houses

Thanks. :slight_smile: Regarding the release date - I donā€™t like to make estimates, but I plan to send the build and the docs to a few betatesters very soon. If everything is ok, I will submit the kit to Marketplace and immediately make it available for purchase on sellfy while itā€™s under review by the Marketplace team.

It should be very similar to adding vehicles for a single player game, I believe there was an official tutorial about that released recently.

I want to concentrate on a classic MMO genre right now and give it the polish it deserves, before thinking about branching out to other subgenres of MMO. You can test it yourself though, for games with projectiles, for non-target mmos, etc.

Every thing is looking great , canā€™t wait to see this get released, keep up the good work!!!

Iā€™m gonna get this as soon as itā€™s available, Great work !!!

Hi ,

Really good project, waiting for your marketplace release.
Iā€™m readlly intereset in your mysql part.

Do you have make somes more tests on game instance or game continent for load them on other server ?

thx

I love the idea and Iā€™m glad to see someone is working on it, this should hopefully speed up development through all the basics of MMO games and allow creators to focus on the type of MMO game they want to create rather than everyone reinventing the wheel repeatedly(although innovation is good sometimes :3).

The only concerns I have are:
pliability - How easily can this starter kit be manipulated into other MMO forms rather than just the standard WoW, Everquest style MMO. E.g - could this become say, an action-combat mmorpg, a moba or an arpg? (from my reading I would assume I could with enough tweaking, change it to fit the needs of any of those other formats.)
Access - How much access do we have to the starter kit? is it completely open for us to use on our games? what kinds of caveats are there if any?

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have more questions about the project, but so far from what it looks like Iā€™ll definitely be picking this up.

This is exactly the plan. It took me 3 months of fulltime work to get those basics done right (and I already had experience with MMO networking before I started). Even the most innovative MMO concepts that I can think about still have registration/login, storage of persistent character data, chat, launcher/patcher and probably the same style of camera and zoom as in WoW. :slight_smile:

I suppose it can be tweaked into a a different subgenre of MMO rather easily (since it is in blueprints). A MOBA is completely different though, you would have to write matchmaking, launch servers for each match, different camera, new AI for creeps, destructible structures, etc

It is completely open and almost everything is in blueprints. You would have to know some C# if you want to modify launcher and chat server since they are separate C# applications.

Not sure what you mean by this, but I do plan to add dungeon instances and server travel eventually, just canā€™t give an ETA right now.

Awesome, thanks for the quick and professional response.
I canā€™t want to see this project of yours completed, very much interested in purchasing it to help speed up development of my game project.

Luckily I do know C++ C# Java Etc. So modifications shouldnā€™t be hard to make the changes I need to the launcher and chat server.

Thanks so much for working so hard on this, Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on the project so I can see its progress :smiley: (and so I can buy it the moment it becomes available :P)

MMO Starter Kit is available for purchase on Sellfy!

Online documentation

Please donā€™t hesitate to contact me directly on Skype () if you have any questions, since the online documentation is new and I might have missed something.

@Code

Congratulations on the great work!

My question is:

A non-coder can install and maintain your product? (by maintain, I mean troubleshoot issues on the current version)

Hi sarfios,

If by non-coder you mean a person who works in Blueprints, then yes, definitely. The only parts of the project right now that are in code are: launcher and chat server applications (both in C#) and a small part of the inventory system (a new DataAsset type). Everything else is in Blueprints.

I will provide instructions on how to work with the part of the inventory system that is in code but itā€™s pretty straightforward. And you most probably wonā€™t need to modify the chat server for a while (commands such as /who or emotes can be handled by the game server, not chat server).

Documentation looks clear and concise, good job dude =]

Is there a reason why itā€™s telling me itā€™s $115?
Considering it said it was $95 (have other things to budget for as well ><)

It says 95.00 USD for me.

Says $95 for me; Are you living in the EU? There was some laws recently that adds VAT to digital purchases to us in the EU whereas it didnā€™t used to be a case (I believe).

Nope I donā€™t live in the EU thatā€™s why Iā€™m confused about it. There should be no reason for it to appear like that.

Edit: Went looking around at other products and for some reason this is the only one to try and force tax on me.

Just tried the new inventory update, its really nice I love that it saves everything when I log off and on

It is a bit buggy though when you loot the npcā€™s, when you double click or right click on stuff the items stay in there then eventually get picked up then you donā€™t have as many as you clicked, Iā€™m sure you will fix what I mean

I really wish you would add the ability to drop items onto the ground and have them stay there persistently too, instead of being destroyed, I would buy your project simply for that immediately. I know WoW doesnā€™t have that, but other more modern mmoā€™s do, which is a feature I think a lot of people would love

What are your next features after bug fixes and stuff?

Action / inventory bar?

Ability to use the items to affect stats & weapon swapping / model changes?
(which then call a different animation stance/movement & combat mechanics)

Ability to select a class/race that has a different model and animations and skeleton?

Plans to polish the character controller so theres proper jump / running backwards / strafing animations ? (Or is that easily added ourselves with documentation for replicating our own networked animations & character controllers?)

Thanks for the info!
Well maybe for you its easy because you are a programmer / blueprinter but Iā€™m just a 3d artist with no idea how to go about implementing that

Im sure massive dropping is easily fixed by allowing only certain items to be dropped like dayZ does though, not even sure why they made coins droppable seems like a currency that should have only existed as numbers in a database/bank transfer like WoW (another feature to add? :cool:)