MMO Starter Kit

A few question before I buy

1. Can I develop this using a Mac machine?
  2. Which hosting is cheaper? Microsoft Azure or IBM Softlayer?

hi,
i have buy your kit this weekend.

i have somes questions :

for your server test you use only a serveur with 1 core 2ghz and 1Go ? or thatā€™s only for your first try ?
if you can say what is your current server configuration, that will be great.

allready have somes vps cloud 2 like that : Cloud VPS: Choose flexible cloud hosting | OVHcloud 4 core 2ghz + 4Gb with windows server 2012 r2. how many ppl you think they support for somes tests ?

We can only use your kit on a source build of ue4 ? why donā€™t use the normal UE4 with 4.71 launcher ?

Thx

Iā€™m playing on the default 7.1, and it seems to work perfectly.

The server Iā€™m currently using for the demo is Softlayerā€™s lowest Windows configuration, like you said: 1 core 2ghz and 1Go ram, 25GB disk ($44.60/month), hosted in Washington. Iā€™m using Softlayer partly because of 24/7 chat support. Azureā€™s lowest config looks significantly cheaper ($13/month) but Iā€™m having doubts about the disk size (20GB) and RAM (0.75), it could be not enough. You are free to try any hosting, especially since most companies have hourly rates now. OVHā€™s prices linked by Meriamon look interesting, but I havenā€™t tried this hosting so I canā€™t speak for it.

If you a want a really inexpensive server, self-hosting or Linux are your best options. However you would have to know how to package for Linux since the kit doesnā€™t ā€˜officiallyā€™ support it yet.

If you want to maximize the amount of players on one Unreal server instance, look for bare metal Xeon ~3.5ghz servers, not virtual, since Unrealā€™s multithreading is not perfect. Iā€™d say the server you linked would support 2-3 Unreal server instances, 100-150 players each (without optimizations), but thatā€™s a rough estimate and would also depend on the amount of NPCs.

Most probably, since Unreal fully supports Mac. However, I donā€™t own a Mac and so I canā€™t give more information here. Guys, is there anyone in the thread who is using MMO Starter Kit with Mac?

Unrealā€™s dedicated server can only be built when using source build.

Hello ,

Whatā€™s the next thing you want to do on MMO Starter Kit?

Hi, I donā€™t know yet, the equipment/security update came out just several days ago so I havenā€™t started working on the next update yet. :slight_smile: I like how it turned out with the simultaneous release of 4.7 and my update so I will aim for a simultaneous release with 4.8 as well. One possible new feature is experience and leveling, quests are also something that I want to add soon.

1. Does the client work on mobile devices (Android, Blackberry, Ios, etcā€¦)?

2. If I purchase the starter kit through sellfy (MMO Starter Kit for Unreal - CodeSpartan) will I be able to access it in the Unreal marketplace for updates?

Jason

Just a question before I grab this, what kind of lighting are you using on these types of games? Just wondering what the best way to set this up for open worlds like youā€™ve done and I havenā€™t been able to find a lot of info. Thanks!

Hi, Iā€™ve seen some posts by Epic devs saying that mobile+PC networking is possible but I havenā€™t tried it myself. Currently I donā€™t provide support for mobiles.

Updates will always be published on both Sellfy and Marketplace (assuming the kit gets there :slight_smile: ). Sellfy handles the updates automatically just like Marketplace - once an update comes out, you can access the new download link.

The demo uses a slightly changed Epicā€™s DesertRallyRace map, so a directional light, reflection captures, a skybox, a lightmass importance volume and a postprocessing volume with tint. You could check out that free demo, and also the Level design map (Sun temple) in Content Examples project for another good example of lighting with a directional light.

hi,

i have a little problem with the project and a question. For the moment, i just try to use your kit without modifications.

my account registration seem works and when i enter the world the map load but my character dont pop and have no HP.
I have try your documentation solution for change location in mysql character but nothing better. And my server was just reboot so no ram or space problem.

Do you have an other solution for that ? i canā€™t kill the character so canā€™t respawn.

In your mysql base you have active_logins table. this table need to be empty if no one play on the server ? or what does that table do ?

thx

Hi,

First of all, check that you have a character with id 0 in your ā€˜charactersā€™ mysql table. For the purpose of this test, also check that that characterā€™s hp is > 0. Also make sure that youā€™ve completed step 2 in ā€œLaunching for the first timeā€ section of the guide.

Does this occur only with dedicated server on in editor (PIE) and standalone as well?

Add me on Skype please so I could help you faster ()

Right now it ensures that only the last user who logged in with this username can create characters, enter world, etc. In the future it will also be used for kicking characters when the owning user tries to log in with another character.

Hey ,

With the upgrade to 4.7, a lot of weird bugs have started happening. We use some of your systems such as Login and Registration in our game, and we love it. A weird issue we started having when we moved to 4.7 was that when we built out our dedicated servers, they would crash on start-up. We looked around and found out that is had to with UMG, and even found this on the answer hub: [Crash] Dedicated Server with UMG - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

Epic has said that have listed it as a bug, but we wondering if you ever encountered this issue and if so, were you able to find some sort of solution?

I havenā€™t encountered this myself, but since the staff at Epic has managed to reproduce it, hopefully this will get fixed soon. Iā€™ve commented on the AnswerHub in hopes to bring more attention to this bug. Are you launching the dedicated server from a shortcut? I usually run it from a packaged build or PIE.

We have actually tried all of the above. We started by using a shortcut, and then figuring that had something to do it. Tried from PIE and got the same issue. And we finally thought that maybe it was just an issue with it not being packaged, so we packaged it up to get the same results. It is indeed a pretty game breaking bug, had to revert our stuff back to 4.5.

Thank you so much for replying! :slight_smile:

Do you plan on adding support for mobiles in a future update?

Jason

No such plans at the moment. All of the MMOā€™s that Iā€™ve played were desktop so I prefer to develop something that Iā€™m familiar with as a player.

This is just a framework for an mmorpg. The demo is for desktop, but with enough know-how, Iā€™m sure you could convert the project to a mobile project.

Would it be easy to strip out the Networking(MMO) features? At this point I am only interested in the RPG features.

Thanks

Curious about this as well :slight_smile:

I am a beginner with UE4. Somehow I do not think I have developed enough know how to convert it to a mobile project at this point. I do not know how long it would take me to get enough know how.

It also stated in the getting started part of the documentation to use this kit with a copy of UE4 compiled from source. Will this kit ever get to the point where it can be used with the binary version of UE4?

Jason