MMO Starter Kit

Hey @ im trying to Check out the Demo but it somehow Dont work… I managed to Download The game via Launcher, Register new account And Create a character, but when i try to Enter the World I got Stuck under the Ground i see some buildings but i cant move or anything i hear the sound and See the Skybox nothing else , no buttons work, is there a fix for this ? Thnx

Fixed it, you can check the demo now :).

With enough dedication and time, everything is possible :wink:

Fantastic work, looking forward towards more progress. Just one question, do you perhaps plan another server test with 1000 connected users? I know it could be hard to get such large test base but i am just wondering what is actual scale of player base that such kit can handle per server.

I am curious about this as well. I’d like to know how far we can push this Starter Kit without a severe hit to the gameplay experience. If it can support 500+ players in near proximity and in combat, it would be perfect for one of my game ideas. Even if it can only support 300+ players in combat without instancing, that would be good enough for me. Of course, we’d need the proper server hardware to pull that off regardless of the engine’s capabilities.

For now, two tests were done: 1) ~150 players, few NPCs (first test) and 2) ~500 NPCs, 50 players - this was done as a custom test for a client and the number of players could have been pushed to 100+ from looking at the CPU stats. I do plan for additional tests but they won’t happen soon because ordering 300+ virtual machines is not cheap and requires approval from Softlayer support.

The tests have proven that the kit can handle, say, a regular WoW zone with NPCs and players and I believe it’s enough at this point for the purposes of a ‘starter kit’.

Ok so as soon as I get paid which should be soon. I am getting this kit :smiley:

Will you releasing this to the Marketplace?

Hi, I’m selling it on Sellfy currently because I’ve heard that Marketplace doesn’t accept code plugins at the moment. I’m going to submit it to the Marketplace nevertheless, just want to release an update first.

When you add 1 mesh to project which size of 5 mb, how many mb of pach will be download?

I am going to assume that it will be whatever the compression of the 5MB file is in 7Zip. So 7Zip it up and that should give you a basic indication.

From my understanding of the code, there is no binary update of the file and no checksum … so if the file exists in the patch it will be 7Zipped up and transferred on the patch. The patch process checks whether the file needs to be added to the patch … but that is the only checking done.

That’s right, it should be about the size of the mesh file 7zipped. The “patch maker” application compares the new version of the game to the old one and adds the modified files to the patch.

@qdelpeche binary update would be interesting, I haven’t explored this. Although now that I think about it, most Unreal binary files would probably be completely different. Maybe I should try binary diffing a map file…

@: I use a program called Rsync and there is a Linux and Windows library (haven’t check for Mac yet).

Windows Library: https://github.com/librsync/librsync

On Linux it is a built in command but that would depend on how you decide to implement it I guess.

I normally do a basic checksum on all new files and have that available for the updater … this allows the updater to check for any manually modified files that may have been modified by the user … but once again this depends on your setup.

In the next 1-2 days the game and login servers can be down periodically in preparation for the upcoming update. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the first update!

Keep up the great work!!!

Is it going to be compatible with the release of 4.7? :slight_smile:

I would assume so :slight_smile:

*Upd: *The update is finished and is on the demo server. I’m going to make some changes to the documentation and upload it on Sellfy in the next 1-2 days (and will post the patch notes then). Yes, the kit has been fully ported to 4.7 :slight_smile:

Awesome! Can’t wait to get it up and running!!! :):):slight_smile:

You are so my hero :slight_smile:

I’m hoping to see a change log soon :). I logged into the server but saw nothing different , so I was hoping to see a change log to see whats new :stuck_out_tongue: