Mixamo Animations Different Skeleton

I’m following [Real TIme Composing Basics][1]
, after uploading SK_Mannequin.FBX which is provided with the course assets and downloading it with these settings:

I drag and drop into the unreal project and import with these settings:

The newly imported animation with its new skeleton works fine, but it doesn’t work with the original FBX and its skeleton included in the project for the course. If I try to import selecting the same skeleton SK_Mannequin uses I get FAILED TO MERGE BONES, and if I continue the project breaks.
How did the teacher import the animations without breaking anything? I can’t find a way to use mixamo animaitons to work on the original fbx included in the course. He does it at Animating the Mannequins around 4:30 in the course Real-Time Compositing Basics.

Im feeling it too. Thanks for asking.

Hi Dude,

I’ve got two possible solutions, one complexicated and one simple.

complicated:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/community-content-tools-and-tutorials/104910-retargeting-mixamo-in-place-animation-to-epic-skeleton

Simple:
I ignored trying to tie the Mixamo anime to the mannequin in the project and for the ‘Idle’ I just imported ‘idle’ asset with skeletal mesh etc everything standard. then when I import the subsequent anime I just turn off import mesh and assign it to the ‘idle’ mesh that I already have. so far it seems to have worked. I’ve only done a brief test.

good luck

It works except when anims loop the mannequin jumps back. A sort of solution to this problem is to fiddle around with root motion settings in the animation sequence window. this may be a kludge Thetis a consequence of the root stuff discussed in the earlier complexiculated solution.

I did the same thing. Upload SK_Mannequin to mixamo > choose animation > check " In Place" > download using default settings > import in unreal without skeleton, both of “convert scene” options checked> Use newly generated skeleton for all other animations when importing.