Missing faces on mesh when importing fbx

I keep getting these weird areas on my mesh that are missing faces, I’ve already checked normals in Maya, I textured in Substance painter without a problem and the model baked fine in there so I know UV’s and normals should be fine, I also surfaced in Maya and it looks fine there, I’m new to UE so I’m not sure what is happening.

1 Like

If the engine can’t convert the geo on import, it does things like insert / remove faces. So there might be a bit of errant geo.

I was actually able to figure it out, by going into modeling mode > under attributes select “Nrmls” and change the Normal Calculation Method to Area Angle Weighted on each mesh and that seemed to solve the problem.

1 Like

That’s good to know :slight_smile:

This indirectly solved an issue I’ve not had before with Blender, usually these imports work flawlessly. I followed your steps, but the only thing I needed to do was click “fix inconsistent normals” under the same edit normals function in the modeling mode and it fixed the issue. Thanks!

I had the same issue, my reason was that the mesh in maya was about 2 cm tall which unreal didn’t like on import. i just imported the mesh with “Import Uniform Scale” at like 200 and it’s fixed :+1:

I had ran into a similar problem. and unfortunately the solution here did not solve my issue as it has for some others. Although I did solve it another way. In maya if edges are too close together it seems to clash when importing into unreal engine. I solved it by increasing the size of the model in maya itself - hope this adds to the post :slight_smile: