MetalFX upscaling in UE

Any easy way to enable metalfx upscaling in UE4/UE5? Not sure if there’s any plugin for that, or need to import some kind of samples/manually code for that. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I’ve been looking for this answer, and it seems that, up until today, no implementation for MetalFX, either from the community, from Apple, or Epic, is available. If your target is macOS, maybe implementing AMD FSR is an option, since this solution is hardware agnostic, with games already running FSR on macOS platform.

Thanks a lot for your info. I did not find any about UE either, however Unity seems to have more support for apple. Haven’t tried yet but found one sample here using the native plug-in interface.

it might be coming later because epic has on their future roadmap that they are implementing the metal-cpp sdk which includes the metalfx library.

I think that github is of a community fork but apple has the same thing on their website, apparently unreal still uses some super old metal API which was discountinued in 2018 and lacks support for things like metalfx, so hopefully with the metal-cpp api rework it will support options for it. it would be a huge boon for mobile developers on unreal engine.

1 Like

Great thanks for ur info, any schedule for epic metal-cpp status? Not sure if it’s mentioned in the future roadmap.

its not but I think its a soon thing, hopefully 5.4 or 5.5. with apple macs having the m series chips that can actually game I would assume its a priority.

1 Like

Hey I just wanted to let you know it should be coming in 5.4 with metal-cpp. if you go to the beta 5.4 branch on github they have the metalfx source code inside the metal-cpp directory! this will be huge for macos and ios development since its based on FSR2 and with FSR2 my games get like double the fps.

I am wanting to try porting my games to macos and possibly iOS so getting metalfx to help with that extra fps will be huge.

Got it thanks yes already seen metalfx folder in ue5-main branch, and it would be more helpful if there’s any plugin for easy use, something like the DLSS/FSR does.

So I downloaded ue 5.4 and while the code is there, I am not entirely sure epic implemented it. I tested TSR on apple and that works similar to metalFX performance so maybe they just integrated it with that. its weird they dont just have an option for metalfx though since its included in their SDK they use.

For the meantime I recommend using TSR on apple platforms and even android because the other solutions like dlss, xess, and fsr only work on windows using their unreal engine plugins. if you are only using windows then for sure use the plugin.

1 Like