Metal/roughness and specular/glossiness, which is the best for UE?

Hi
I see there are 2 workflow

Ref: The PBR Guide - Part 2 on Substance 3D Tutorials

Which is best for UE?

Thank
Travis

Unreal use Metal/Roughness

You literally only have one choice so…

You have all the source code if you were really a maniac you can make your own version :joy:

You can use either. One is not better than the other. And you have access to both metalness and specular in the standard material.

Physically-Based Rendering, And You Can Too! | Marmoset

Read the FAQ in that article for artist friendly explanations of questions like this.

Short answer is, in most cases plug in a metalness map and leave spec alone and you’ll be fine.

You don’t have access to both. The specular input in Unreal takes in a scalar and only controls specular reflection intensity, the reflection color is derived from the albedo for metallic areas of the texture. In a glossiness/specular setup the specular map is RGB and affects the specular color.

1 Like

I’m a “offline Renderer” in the industry, converting to RT … and in my experience… You def. Want to go for the Metal rough workflow, gives you waaaayyy less headaches getting the look that you want… And as mentioned before, spec works a liiitle different here like in, lets say vray… And even there… When you go with Metal roughness, you’ll have no big problems to Match your Looks with different engines, when it comes to PBR… Just remember, the “normal format” is another thing to look out for… For UE its “DirectX” format… For i.e. vray its “OpenGL” format… And dont forget to interpret your metal and roughness maps (packed or not packed) as “masks”… (No color Management correction)… Thats how you get the exact same (almost :grimacing:) look that you’ll have in lets say substance(adobe) painter and ue…

And as a little reminder… Color info-> sRgb… Everything else ("""“Data”"""") linear/or Raw … And then you’ll have a fun time with metal-rough :v:

Hi @panPvonB
Look like you deep research about render engine.
I work in furniture design. Most of time I work with Fabric, wood and metal. Could you share with me document or tutorial how to build Fabric material from texture map.

Thank
Travis

Hmm, this one here gives a good insight in a simple and solid texturing technique with Painter Substance Painter Tutorial for Beginners: Create Fabric Material for Substance - YouTube

If you are not after realism you could go for Something like “bitmap 2 material” (Just search on YT… Many tutorials there…)

b2m takes a simple texture map and “interpolates” normal map, roughness and Others… But it is only a Interpolation, so it is not very accurate when you Look to close

I would recommend to Take a Look at “Quixel Mixer”… you will find many Tutorials there aswell…
This one here is good and shows you what quixel mixer actually is Creating a cushion material in Mixer - YouTube

Super powerful Tool…