Metahuman import from QB causes EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in UE 5.4

Please select what you are reporting on:

Creative

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Stability

Summary

I’ve been working with metahumans for a year now since 5.2. Recently I switched to 5.4.1 and the whole problem started. It’s almost impossible to work with metahumans on UE 5.4.x. It crashes constantly. Usually it ends up with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address: multiple numbers, every time different. I can place MH in an empty level but if there is ANYTHING, a box even in the level - it crashes. The log is just empty - there is no error in the logged console. NOTHING. Can U please check what is wrong? It seems it’s not optimized enough. 5.4 IS NOT a production version for my case. I switched GPU drivers, uninstalled Geforce Experience (which helped with other crashes) but MH is still a no go. It works better if a MH is from 5.2 version - copied to 5.4 project but 5.4 MH doesn’t work.

Steps to Reproduce

Open a premade level with assets in it. Place a metahuman from 5.4 MHC.

Expected Result

I expect to import MH via QB and work with it the same way I was working with it for the past year.

Observed Result

After trying to import MH to 5.4.x project with assets UE crashes. I can import MH to an empty project and then copy it to my Main project. When I try to open it in my Main project with premade levels UE crashes with Access violation.

Platform(s)

Windows 11 Pro
Intel(R) Core™ i9-14900K
64,0 GB
Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060
MoBo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 FORMULA

are you trying ver 3.0 of Metahuman, right? 2.0 doesnt work in 5.4 i believe

hey, I’m using MH plugin installed to 5.4.1 engine (the only one I can install from marketplace - library). In MHC I have characters updated to UE 5.4 and I’m trying to import those via QB. Normal pipeline. My GPU drivers are up to date. Made a completely fresh install of those with DDU at work. There is a big problem with MH but generally 5.4.1 is just unstable - it crashes a lot more frequently than 5.2 for example. I’m giving it one more day of troubleshooting and going back to 5.2.

For example:
Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Array.h] [Line: 758]
Array index out of bounds: -4390912 into an array of size 37

what is this BS?

nothing else showing in the log ? i had similar Array index out of bounds in city sample but dont remember how i fixed it. i will post when i find out. i think it was caused by Traffic plugin but not 100% sure. Can you use your metahuman without plugin? Just from QB?

nope. not anymore. what’s more I did a fresh Win 10Pro install today and it’s still happening. it’s a serious issue - I found multiple users and post with the same issues… no luck.

Ok. so I nailed it to the metahuman plugin. they did something to it… it was working very good but after the release of 5.4 it’s useless. I doesn’t work even on 5.2 in my case anymore.

when exactly does it crash? i just tested it again in 5.4.1 but didnt create anything really with it just empty identity file

if you have any cpp in your project, could you try to run it from VS at least you have debugger attached then and hopefully will show when it crashes

SOLUTION:
OK. So I think I finally found the solution to this problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/1axepvu/optimizing_stability_for_intel_13900k_and_14900k/

STill testing it but it seems it did the trick :slight_smile:

nice one, good luck

1 Like