MetaHuman hairs render only if the camera is close

Hello, I have imported the MetaHuman “Ettore” from Bridge into my UE4 project. I have imported missing plugins/settings, restarted the editor, let shaders compile, and placed BP_Ettore in my scene. In the editor and in-game, its hairs are only rendered if the camera is close to him. I guess this has to do with bounds or LODs.

How could I force its hairs to be rendered ?

335898-2021-04-14-19-52-16-advancedlocomotionsystemv-unre.png

Solved it by editing in the BP of the character, under the LODSync component set Forced LOD to 0 (max details).

4 Likes

I too have the same problem. According to the Metahuman documentation:

A LOD uses a particular geometric representation of the hair, from strands for high quality, to cards, to meshes (also called a helmet). Each LOD is represented in the following ways:

LOD 0–1 use strand-based geometry on high-end platforms (Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, and PC), but also supports card representations for other platforms.

LOD 2–4 use card-based representations.

LOD 5–7 use simplified hair meshes.

The fact that the hair disappears as soon as the camera goes too far way, suggests that LOD 2+ isn’t set up. Maybe the Metahuman creator has not exported hair cards and simplified meshes. I have not checked to see if this is the case.

1 Like

I have same problem using metahuman Roux’s hair on my custom character for movie render queue, hope someone can help, thanks.

Open Hair Groom Asset And in the LOD Section Set The LodSelectionType From CPU TO GPU :slight_smile: WORKED FOR ME I hope it helps.

1 Like

this worked for me too. in addition, in that same section, under each LOD tier, i clicked Visible to the on-state for more of the tiers.

1 Like

I’m having the opposite problem in 5.03, the hair at lod0 disappears, all the other hair loads fine and only when I’m playing the game in a build, or in a stand alone window. Playing in Editor the hair doesn’t disappear.

Same, any solution found yet? The “Fuzz” and where the hair blends with the head at the back of the neck also render as a odd flickering blur (like a halo) in UE 5.1.1 with MetaHumans. Scalability set to Epic and Cinematic, with and without scaling.

Has anyone found info on this elsewhere? Very frustrating that these assets don’t work together.

This worked for me: (4) Unreal Engine 5.0.2 Metahuman Hair Disappearing Quick Fix Tutorial - YouTube

The issue appears to be when the cine cam has a low aperture and parts of the meta human face are in softer focus. The fine hairs can’t properly go out of focus and it produces a flickery/noisy halo effect around the character where the background is. I’m guessing this relates to how the hairs are rendered, and that must not support soft focus yet.

I can’t find LodSelectionType in 5.1 they removed it ?

1 Like

Never cull distance… click and search the details for it. instantly fixed it

having this problem in UE5.2 when I added a copy of MH groom hair that didnt have a LOD issue to a new blueprint character, then it started disappearing at distance.

I tried fiddling with every suggestion on here, then switching them back so I would not get lost too far down a rabbit-hole of random changes. In the end the machine hung and I had to restart it, and then it worked.

so if you are having problems after setting groom hair in a blueprint, maybe restart UE before you start changing too much.

I think so. But I found solution of this problem. You need check all of your groom assets: hair, beard, eyebrows or something else you need to show. And in which blueprint of groom assets, check the LOD section, and make visible every checkbox in every LOD section (LOD0, LOD1, LOD2, etc.) Also you need change geometry type to strands in which section of LODs. I hope it helps.

Thank you so much!!!

I am having an issue even when everything is set to LOD 1 , Never cull, i see it in the viewport , but on a certain map when i use the sequencer, it doesnt render hair…

Can it be cuz of a texture streaming pool exceeded