Metahuman Hair Issues on Mac

Hello, I’ve been struggling with this a bit the last day and a half. Made a Metahuman character for a potential video project and I can’t seem to get it to look right in Unreal. Specifically issues around the hair. He has hair, beard, mustache, eyelashes set in the Metahuman Creator but some have not been working when I imported them.

Changing the beard, mustache, and eyebrows updating got the new ones to show up but the eyelashes are still nowhere. And then there’s issues with all the hair just showing the skin under (see the screenshot).

Thought it might be the level I setup. I understand emissive light sources can cause problem for the Metahuman hair so I tried removing all of the emissive lights in the scene. Still a problem.

Tried what I found in searching of forcing LOD 0 with a console command. Tried the trick to change Forced LOD in the BluePrint to 1. Also tried 0. No luck with any of that. Tried scaling the hair elements, which was a trick I found. No luck with that either.

Tried deleting the whole Metahuman folder in the project and redownloading and adding. Didn’t really help.

Downloaded the Metahuman Sample Project and the default Metahumans in that didn’t have issues with the eyebrows it seemed so I changed mine to match the ones on Taro. Hair still doesn’t look quite right on them.

Tried to add the preset Metahuman Taro Metahuman from the Sample Project and that one is also not looking quite right.

Tried starting a new third person game project to see if it was my project. No luck. Screenshot below is from the third person game project. Still have that weirdness with the hair. Tried turning off everything but the directional light just in case there was something emissive I

I feel like I’m missing a step or a setting or something here. Maybe something isn’t downloading right. Any ideas out there?

I’m on an M2 Max MacStudio with 96GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1, Metal 3, and using Unreal 5.3.2.

Having the same issues, on M2 Pro.

1 Like

Just chiming in to report that i have similar issues on an M3 Max, expect they come in without eyebrows, and only basic beards. Eyebrows reappear when I force to LOD 2 & above, but then that defeats the point of using Metahuman.

Also, the Sample Project works just fine, as it did for you. Figured it might’ve been a settings issue, but when I import other Metahumans into that project, they still have the weird hair issue.

Have tried pretty much every suggested fix I can find, and nothing works.

3 Likes

Yeah my character’s hair is insane and creepy. Anyone found a fix yet?

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue. With all the metahumans that I’ve tested, the hair goes wonky when I add them to a level sequencer. I’m on a Mac M2 Max. This even happens in the Metahumans Demo project as well. No clue how to fix.

1 Like

Turning of RBF Interpolation in the hair groom asset seems to fix the problem. Not sure what RBF Interpolation is or if it will cause issues somewhere else down the line. But so far so good.