Metahuman custom head

In Metahuman . in Face_Archetype_Skeleton
there are so many Anime curves.
I want to find out where did they set?
but I cannot find out,I want to import my new custom head that is just modified and used the same skeletal
then use animations of the original one on my edited one. but these Anime curves did not work on my new head.
(I just export Face_Archetype, then re-import it and assign the existing skeleton as the reference of the new head to see is it working or not - but it didn’t work.)

all morphs worked. but the Anime curves that open close mouth, blink, and other things don’t work. I am not an animator guy maybe it is a simple question.
but Anime curves in metahuman skeletal don’t work in my new mesh but the original one is still working obviously when I change the preview mesh in the skeletal section and change anime curves.

thank you

I have not personally tried to export the Metahuman head, modify it, then re-import it, however you would have to ensure that the new head preserved all the original shapekeys (morph targets) when exporting from your 3D editing program, and then select “Import Morph Targets” in the FBX importer in Unreal Engine.

Maybe if you can screen record the problem in action, it would help to diagnose it. Show what is working, and show what isn’t working. Upload as an unlisted video to YouTube and paste the link here.

You might have to assign the Face Animation Blueprint in your Character’s BP as shown here:

no, it doesn’t work that is another BP and I delete completely that and record this one again to show
both have the same setting …
at the end of video I removed the post process BP to show that rig worked on the new face but how can I map those anime curves from new mesh to corresponding one like original one

You’re welcome, and thanks for posting the video. Since the morph targets are working on your character’s head mesh earlier in the video, it seems to be a bug when the morph targets are not working later. In other words, your head mesh is probably fine. Just remember, the PREVIEW mesh is not actually the final mesh. You will need to assign the correct skeletal mesh in your character’s Blueprint. To be honest, prior to watching your video, I myself had not been able to get any morph target animations showing, so you were already doing better than me there. :slight_smile: However, this post might help. The main facial movements are controlled by bones, not by morph targets. All Morph Targets are only used at LOD 0, and fewer morph targets are used at other LODs. You can see this effect by changing from LOD Auto to other LODs while the morph targets are set to 1. Metahuman facemesh morph target preview not working?

As I mentioned in my previous reply, and after testing this myself using the Metahuman FaceMesh and the Face_Archetype mesh, this seems to be a bug. Since I don’t have a custom version of the Face_Archetype mesh to test, everything works fine for me when switching between the two meshes. But in your case, since the morph targets work with your HumanMax01 character in the Mesh tab, but do NOT work when you are in the Skeleton tab, and both skeletal meshes are using the SAME Face_Archetype_Skeleton, it’s probably just a bug, and it shouldn’t affect your animation of the character using the techniques shown in these videos: Metahuman facemesh morph target preview not working? - #4 by Dig_Squid

Since the morphs are working with your HumanMax01 character in the Mesh tab, it’s probably just a bug with the preview. Also, you cannot animate the Morph Targets from within the “Morph Target Preview” section anyway. You need to be in the Animation tab and select an existing animation that contains Morph Targets, then press Edit Curve and adjust keyframes in the Graph Editor. However, this is probably not the easiest way to do serious facial animation except maybe for blinking or something. Since there are so many Morph Targets, it’s better to use the Facial Rig that’s included as shown in the videos I linked earlier. Try going to the animation tab as shown below and see if the “mh_arkit_mapping_anim” will play on your new face mesh. If it does, there’s nothing wrong. :slight_smile:

352579-edit-curve.png

You’re welcome, and I’m glad you were able to make it work!! Could you post a screenshot of what you mean by the “dna file” and where you “dropped it over the skeleton” to make it work? Thanks!

Thank you for sharing! That’s good information to know. I’ll refer to that if I find myself in the same situation in the future!

is it possible for you to just export one of your head skeletal meshes and make a morph for it(just drag a vertex of it) to see it is a different head and again re-import it and replace it and take videos?
because I am desperate to do this and don’t know what is problem. it takes 3 days of me still no hope.I review other tutorials they did it with plugins to make the morph works.
again thank you so much.

thank you so much. I found the solution finally. I write it here for others:

we should import dna file from megascans directory(that model) and just drop it over our skeleton. and yay now all morphs work.

1 Like

I search it I found out other guys have a same problem. they write a good explanation.