metahuman animator does not support Iphone15 series

MetaHuman Animator does not support the iPhone 15 series. When I opened Live Link Face with iPhone 15 PM, the start screen showed: Your device does not support MetaHuman Animator, but you can still continue to use it. When I imported the video recorded by Iphone15 PM into UE5.3, the following error occurred.

Finally, I checked for a long time and finally found the problem. Because the previous version of the video recorded was mono, and the video recorded by the iPhone 15 series with MetaHuman Animator was stereo, with three audio channels, this caused UE to fail to convert the recorded video to wav format audio and then failed to import. I don’t know if there is a solution to this problem at present, I hope the official can update it as soon as possible to fix this problem.

Having this same issue. I came to the same conclusion - and now am trying to see if I can strip the audio down to two channels while keeping the source video compression the same. Not having much luck. Anyone know what codec this uses? Seems to be Motion Jpeg, but that codec is so old nothing I have outputs it anymore

I had some luck importing the MH takes into Davinci Resolve Studio, cutting out one of the audio tracks, maintaining the fps, sizing, etc, and exporting to the photo JPEG codec. When I open the rendered clip in VLC it looks fine and Unreal actually completes the importing of the video now without giving me an error. Only problem is when I load up the performance takes to review and apply, the video is 90 degrees sideways and won’t track.

edit

It took some figuring out, but do this (below) before you import your takes into Unreal. In each take folder, there’s the “Video_Metadata.txt” file. If you open that up, my dimensions were listed wrong (width 1280, height 720), the opposite of what it should be. I switched it to width 720 and height 1280, then changed the Orientation from 4 to 1
 and that seemingly fixed the rotational problems I was having on import. Now my clips will ingest and load into metahuman animator, from iphone 15 Pro Max recordings.

haha, looking forward to when they have time to fix this.

Circling back to say I was able to get it working and loaded the animation onto a metahuman with the process above.

Hi, we’re sorry to hear that you’ve been having problems importing data from your iPhone 15.

This is a known issue that can occur if you switch from ‘Live Link (ARKit)’ mode to ‘MetaHuman Animator’ mode within the same application session on the iPhone. To avoid this occurring again please make sure that the application is always started in ‘MetaHuman Animator’ mode. You will need to quit the application using the multi-tasking view in order to ensure a fresh start in ‘MetaHuman Animator’ mode.

However it is possible to repair the affected data after the fact by processing the mov file within each take folder using ffmpeg on the command line.

The following command will extract a single audio channel from the original mov file and create a new mov file with a mono audio track which should be suitable for import via the Capture Manager. Note you will need to transfer the data manually to a PC and use a ‘LiveLinkFace Archives’ capture source type in Unreal Engine.

The following command will result in a reduced bit rate for the audio track, but video data should be unaffected.

ffmpeg -i inputFile.mov -codec:v copy -af "pan=mono|FC=c2" -ab 192k outputFile.mov

You will need to replace inputFile.mov and outputFile.mov with appropriate names for your take data. You should rename the original mov file prior to running this command in case of errors.

In order for the take to be imported correctly via the Capture Manager the outputFile.mov file name will need to match that of the original file exactly. E.g. For a mov file named MySlate_1_iPhone.mov the command should look like this (assuming that you first rename the file to MySlate_1_iPhone_Backup.mov):

ffmpeg -i MySlate_1_iPhone_Backup.mov -codec:v copy -af "pan=mono|FC=c2" -ab 192k MySlate_1_iPhone.mov

I hope this helps,

Robert.

2 Likes

Weird. Just tried this - closed the Live Link app while in Metahuman Animator mode, then opened it back up (with only Metahuman Animator mode selected, without having switched), and the error “Your device model is unsupported for MA capture” still appears.

Thanks,I will try your method :grinning:

Thanks for reply,I will try,by the way,will official update live link face in the future to fix
this?

Hi @Chad_Peter.

It is expected that you will still see a warning about the device being unsupported, however you are free to continue recording using your iPhone 15.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot provide an ETA for a fix, however the team is aware of this issue.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hey
Just had a job on the virtual stage and had a “crisis” moment with this issue, thank you for this post. It fixed our problem and we were able to do animation import!

Can you please +1 to fix the App so that this works in the future without extra conversions?

Regards
Dariusz

1 Like

Wow
 thank you. I’ve been working on a project for the last two months and doing records with an 15 and hadn’t run into this problem. Today we switched a few times between ARKIt and MHA and sure enough all my imports were throwing errors
 Was so confused. Thankfully came across this post and the ffmpeg command worked perfectly. THANK YOU!

1 Like

Hi Robert. It appears that the app doesn’t work on any iPhones running iOS17, and Apple no longer allows users to revert the iOS back to 16. The problem is that the app doesn’t seem to request the iPhone for permission to access the camera, therefore the app does not appear in the ‘request access’ list in the phone settings. I bought a new iPhone 13 to use the Metahuman Animator and now it’s useless. Any help will be much appreciated! Cheers, Ed

Hey @TooTallPro,

I have dropped you a reply on your thread, hope it helps:

James

1 Like

Fantastic! Yes that works. Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.